No Start with Hot Starter Motor

Do all GT40s have hot-start problems or is it just my car? I ask this because after parking my ERA GT after driving it on a hot summer day, the starter motor will not operate, but pull a lot of amps just the same. The problem is like that created by armature drag, so I will be pulling the motor off to check for bushing wear and armature-to-field clearance.

If this is a heat-soke problem with GT40 starter motors, I would like to hear how the "problem" was solved. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Put a better ground strap on your starter. I had to attach a ground strap to the starter bolt and attach it to the frame to get rid of that problem on my Cobra.

You can never have too many grounds on a car.

Starter Fixed

Jonothan:
Thanks for the tip. You're right about grounds, particularly with the new electronic cars. However, I started by eliminating the ground as a problem by checking the ammeter . . . it drew a lot of amps. Amp draw would be low with a bad ground. I also checked continuity and voltage drop across the ground . . . no drop. So . . .

. . . I pulled the starter and found badly worn bushings, particularly on the geared end. This caused the armature to drag, particuarly when hot. Rather than taking time to rebush the starter, a new starter fixed the problem.

Again, thanks for the good input.

Tom

I had the same problem with my starter you ned to go for a hi torque starter to get over the problem. Bosch do one for a 302.

Regards

speed 220

Is your timing way advanced or mechanically locked? I had a similar problem in a GTD only to find the dizzy never retarded and stayed at 33 degrees so the starter could not overcome the compression on start.

Andy

No start with Hot starter

Speed
Another item to check is the starter itself. The buisness end of the starter motor has a bronze bushing, if that becomes worn even slightly it allows the armature to contact the inside case effectively holding back the rotation of the starter. When things cool down everything is OK again. I would say though that I would agree with the other comments and if you need to replace the starter go for the Gear reduction, they are awesome.
Cheers
Phil

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
speed220mph said:
Jonothan:
Thanks for the tip. You're right about grounds, particularly with the new electronic cars. However, I started by eliminating the ground as a problem by checking the ammeter . . . it drew a lot of amps. Amp draw would be low with a bad ground. I also checked continuity and voltage drop across the ground . . . no drop. So . . .

. . . I pulled the starter and found badly worn bushings, particularly on the geared end. This caused the armature to drag, particuarly when hot. Rather than taking time to rebush the starter, a new starter fixed the problem.

Again, thanks for the good input.

Tom

I have seen this also - glad you fixed it!

Back