Non-syncromesh with helical teeth?

I forgot to ask - Does it run quietly?

I'm not sure................It's the weirdest thing, in the car all I hear is the exhaust note (matter of fact, I think I will start to run with earplugs as my ears are ringing by the end of the day!), but on the in car video, the camera mic pics up some gear whine. But understand that there is NO sound insulation between the camera and the trans( which is really only what, 2 feet away?) with the lexan window and thin fiberglass engine cover.

It's funny you bring up mufflers...............
I wanted the lightest quiet mufflers I could find. So I found that Coast Fabrication( also makes Burns Stainless) make mufflers used on Daytona Prototypes. So, I figured that if the mufflers were good enough for them...........
Well at $250 each I felt they HAD to work well. So the time came for me to fire up the car for the first time., and when it started I was both elated( as the car is finally running!!) and disappointed( the exhaust note was TOO QUIET!!!). It is very quiet at idle and when passing by on the track from a distance. However under power from INSIDE the car my ears ring by the end of the day!! I think I may need to run with earplugs soon.

how did you find dealing with albins?
they offer some parts for the un5 which is very similar to the un1 i use.
im thinking of seeing if any of the stuff is of use to me, but as they are in aus and me in the uk....

how did you find dealing with albins?
they offer some parts for the un5 which is very similar to the un1 i use.
im thinking of seeing if any of the stuff is of use to me, but as they are in aus and me in the uk....

Here's a shot of Albins' dog change for the UN series. They do a lot but are know more in off-road racing circles having built their reputation there over the past 30 or so years.

UN1options1009002.jpg

Talk/email Steve Nicholson, one of the engineers there, who knows a lot about these boxes. And their pricing in very reasonable compared to euro, UK or US gear makers.

Straight cut gears are more efficient Helical gears are typically stronger, but less efficient due to a thrusting force generate which is a function of the gear helix.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; but i always thought, even though a straight cut gear is weaker than a helical gear, they don't put the thrust loads on the case. And because of that, they they can increase the horse power capacity of a box?
It depends from which kind of shfts supports are designed.
Generally straight cutted boxes are using bearings for radial forces only ( for efficiency ) and due to that it is not possible to change spur to helical.
The contrary is possible accepting a reduced life.
Regards

Back