O1E oil level

Just a point of interest.
I have had the trans out to do some repairs, I have always overfilled the oil because the eng tilts down at the front and 5-6th will not get oil if filled by just using the plug.

While I had it on the stand its angle was at what I would expect when it is fitted in an Audi.
I shot a laser line at the plug level and made a mark on the rear case its about 4/10ths up on the rear case.

After fitting I shot the level at the filler plug again and 5th 6th would have no oil at all.
If I fill the box to get the level close to 4/10th mark it is all the way to the speedo drive hole.
Meaning the diff case is completely full.

I never had issues when it was lower ,say 2/10ths up on the back case but I am interested to see what others are doing.
This would only apply to eng nose down configuration.

Jim

Interesting as I'm intending on making mine nose down.

How many degrees is your engine inclined by?

It's only likely to be an issue on a long cruise as otherwise acceleration will soon oil the far end but of course on a long cruise is when you'll be using 6th...

If you over fill the 01E you will puke oil out the breather. Also the crown wheel tends to push fluid to the back of the gearbox, so unless you run the box at idle for long periods of time I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it.

Back