OEM swirl pot solution

Long time ago, the last fuel pump I changed was a 1988 Dodge Ram Charger. It had an interesting plastic jug the internal fuel pump was in. The fuel pressure bypass return went to a nozzle that scavenged fuel from the tank and into the jug. I though, that's brilliant. An internal venturi pump to keep the electric fuel pump from sucking air as long as possible.

When I built the fuel tank on my Cobra 10 years ago, I incorporated a similar set up fabricated out of 18ga 304 stainless. It's worked very well. I've never lost fuel pressure until I was flat dry and dead on the side of the road.

Well, one of my service van, a 2017 GMC has a dead fuel pump. Either GM had a batch of bad pumps or I don't know, but there are no fuel pumps to be found. Everyone is out of stock. So my mechanic brought this problem to me. For anyone else in the same boat, a 2010 canister with some mods on the indexing tab and pooging the connector looks like it'll make it work. But I found an interesting feature still present on OEM fuel pump modules.

Fuel pump canister.jpg
View attachment 122220

I circled in red the venturi pump and where it sits in the canister. The little red disc is a rubber flapper valve that lets fuel in but not out. The little orange hose is from the integral pressure regulator.

This looks like a much better solution than the aftermarket solutions I've seen with foams and little trays and such. One out of a supercharged vette or camero (More flow that this 300 HP truck engine needs) may be a hot setup if you don't want to clutter the engine bay with a proper swirl pot.

Back