Original GT40 Body Gap Target Sizes

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

Can anyone comment on the typical body gap size(s) that the original cars had? I realize they are probably all somewhat different (and may be different across the deck,hood and doors), but I am just looking for a general target.

Looking at the original photos I have available, we are clearly not talking tight Lexus/Infinity style 2.5 mm gaps, but it really hard to tell edges from shadows etc. in most of the photos.

To further add to my confusion, I have seen huge (and somewhat unsightly horizontal gaps on the rear deck of new Ford GTs - 1/2" on the drivers side at least 2 of the cars I have seen. Even with these large gaps, some cars show strike marks on the matching panel where they appear to have collided due to careless closure.

Thanks & Regards,

Al

I don't think there is a definative answer but anywhere around 4-5 mm is what I tried to achieve as an overall gap size, Im OK with it. Also depends on how picky/how much free time you have or can pay a body shop guy for.

I'm sure others have different opinions.

Chris

I agree with Chris as there is no definate answer. In my view, as long as all the gaps are even it looks good. Also the smaller the better. I used a paddlepop stick (ice cream) to gain an even 2.8mm gap on all gaps. With over 600 hours invested in bodywork it better turn out!
Bob

Body Gaps

Sorry Bobski,
With fibreglass and road use you will be like a dog chasing his tail keeping every gap within a paddle pop stick.It all moves and flexes to some degree.You will find one area will rub requiring a greater gap elsewhere.Just get it looking reasonable and it will stay reasonable.Cheers mate.

Body Gaps

Hey Chris,
Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. I have allowed a tollerance of 0.2mm (2.8mm +/- 0.2mm) for all gaps except for along the side sills which are set at 3.5mm. The car will be driven for a month or two before paint is applied so if there is any ironing out to do the paint will not be affected. In my view, we have all invested too much time, money and effort just to have our cars looking reasonable.
Thanks
Bob

Back