Original Mk1 Starter Motor

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Hi, can anyone advise on the correct starter for the 289 circa 66
I have seen photos of the Lucas push button solenoid mounted behind the Dash, which chassis' had this set up ?
I see various starters used on tool room replicas, mostly pre-engage and or geared.
Attached photo of what I think may be a step in the right direction.
starter motor.jpg
I am using the Safir bell housing.

Thanks, Peter.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
While I can't say for certain that the starter you have is 100% correct- I believe it's got to be very close. Ford made the HD Autolite starters with 3 mounting bolts rather than 2 during those years. High performance cars and trucks got them. Everything else got 2 bolt units per my recollection..
The two bolt unit just left out the center bolt and would swap onto the 3 bolt bellhousings..

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Thank you Randy, I agree with your thoughts. There seems to be little information on the original. I have not seen photos! regards, Peter.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Peter & Randy,
Yes you are both correct with the piece shown. Make sure you get plenty of cranking power if you are buying one.
This is an original three bolt one of mine. Note the XF part number and the orange paint.
fullsizeoutput_e64.jpeg

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Hi Peter & Randy,
Yes you are both correct with the piece shown. Make sure you get plenty of cranking power if you are buying one.
This is an original three bolt one of mine. Note the XF part number and the orange paint.

Hi James,
Thank you for the photo/ info, can you help me further, what make is it ? I have googled the numbers but no help!

Regards, Peter.

Most Fe stuff had 3 bolt ( Rat Trap ) starters, somewhere in an older circle track or US Hot Rod magazine there was an article on swapping various parts from different starters to obtain higher torque readings, which is probably similar to the work that went into the starter James has posted. Dont ask me to go look for the article, time seems to disappear in the shelves of that stuff.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Peter,
No so special.
Most folks have removed them and replaced them with something more reliable.
Jac's recommendation is the way to go if you want the same type of starter with reliable crank power. There are custom shop guys out there doing this type of upgrade work including modifying core alternators and distributors.

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Peter,
No so special.
Most folks have removed them and replaced them with something more reliable.
Jac's recommendation is the way to go if you want the same type of starter with reliable crank power. There are custom shop guys out there doing this type of upgrade work including modifying core alternators and distributors.

HI James,
I have taken Jac's advice and done some internet searching. I think I can come up with something suitable.

Thanks again, regards, Peter

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Most Fe stuff had 3 bolt ( Rat Trap ) starters, somewhere in an older circle track or US Hot Rod magazine there was an article on swapping various parts from different starters to obtain higher torque readings, which is probably similar to the work that went into the starter James has posted. Dont ask me to go look for the article, time seems to disappear in the shelves of that stuff.

Hi Jac,

Thanks for your input.

regards Peter.

If you want higher torque than original, but with the original look (needs a repaint), JEGS offers this:

It is only two bolt however.
IIRC the 2/3 bolt end housings are interchangeable, just got to make sure pinion tooth count is the same. Boss 302/& 351 manuals have a 2 bolt end housing that sets the pinion about 3/8" further fwd to match ring gear placement.

Hi Peter,

Have you sorted out your flywheel and ring-gear? If not then you are not ready to buy a starter motor which must match your ring-gear.

Regards,

Graham.

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Hi Peter,

Have you sorted out your flywheel and ring-gear? If not then you are not ready to buy a starter motor which must match your ring-gear.

Regards,

Graham.

Hi Graham,
As Jac pointed out there are different pinion offsets. I have done a bit of research having been pointed in the right direction by the above.
My set up is Safir, bell housing/ fly wheel etc, which I have, so I can make some measurements.
The 3 bolt starters seem to be used more on the trucks and larger engines. The 2 bolt on the 289 manual trans. Which may have the right pinion set up , but not 3 bolt like James' original.

The other problem may be the number of pinion teeth, the above starters have 9 teeth,
Lots more research needed .

Thanks for you input, regards, Peter

Also bear in mind the ring gear tooth pitch can be fine or coarse, earlier FE stuff with inertia pinion engagement were coarse, later auto & manual with rat trap/pre engagement are fine pitch.

Back