Hi Torque starter mismatch

Here is what can result when the wrong starter is used. I ordered my starter from Hi Torque due to the inability to line up the starter in the 930 transaxel. The frame impinges on the solenoid of the original Porsche starter. The result was a need for a clockable starter or radically altering the bell housing mounting position for the starter. Hi Torque makes very good starters. I had assumed they sent me what I ordered which was the unit for the Porsche setup. They have two starters for the Porsche trans. The 101 and 101N. The 101 is for a Volkswagen transaxel and has a 1.2kw output. The 101N is the high output version(1.4kw) and is the one you want, and is designed for the Kennedy adapter or Mendeola transmission. Both are set up for the 130 tooth ring gear. On the same page is the 105 which is for a Ford engine. This unit is designed for the Ford application using the Manual transmission. The unit is similar to the IMI-101 but has a larger diameter pinion gear for the 109 tooth flywheel.
Well this is what happens when you mix them up.

IMAG0036.jpg

Note the damage from the flying teeth.

IMAG0048.jpg

Here is the starter they sent.

IMAG0040.jpg

There are some marks on the bell housing as well. Just lucky it didn't cause a fracture.
We had wondered why the starter turned the engine over so slowly.
I only discovered this when I went to crank the engine to try the new settings for the clutch slave cylinder, and was greeted with an awful grinding sound followed by the starter sounding like it was not engaging the ring gear.
I haven't talked with Hi Torque yet, but will be in touch with them on Monday. This will be a fight I am afraid, as the starter was ordered several years ago but only used less that 20-30 times during the last year only(see build log for DRB#5), which finally resulted in the above. I am hoping they will own up to their mistake and make it good, but I don't think they will. So I may have to consult a lawyer or small claims court when Kennedy gets back with me on what it will cost to repair. Here's hoping.

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Bill,

Having lost money across state lines I think you can forget small claims courts or lawyers. As I've learned, unless you have damages that range in the thousands, as in more than a few, you can't justify the expense of pursuing legal action in another state. Probably about the best you can hope for is that they'd rebuild the starter for you with the correct gear. If they didn't have a disclaimer that resolved them from applications use, regardless of fault, I'd be very surprised.

Hope you can get it sorted out and back on the path to running.

Ron

Hey Bill, I just checked my starter and found it to be an IMI-101. Got it from Kennedy, never installed. Guess I'll be calling them about the IMI-101N which is what I should have received as it was purchased with my 930 adapter from them.

Thanks for the heads-up!

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Bummer - Bill, I'd be talking to the supplier of the ring gear as well.
We use OEM (950 116 143 01) ring gears and no issues even with high torque pos starters.
An OEM Porsche starter is best option --- some minor chassis mods required to the DRB for fit.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ditto what Chris says. Athough I currently use the Hi-Torque due to issues with a custom Tilton Flywheel adapting to the P-starter (thread issue for another time) I modified my chassis structure to accomadate a Porsche starter.

Back