Original?Replica?Re-Creation?Continuation?

There seemes to be any number of beliefs regarding "original" cars. Often refered to by any or all of these discriptions. IE: Safir,Holman/Moody, and many specific to chassis # or Tub or paperwork now including amgt2. Is there any difinitive distinction on this problem? Perhaps the originality is most questioned at the time of sale? What constitutes originality in this instance is often subjective to the Seller, as we have seen before.

Where would this leave the cars Bryan Wingfield is finishing? see www.bryanwingfield.com/gt40.html

What should the public call these? Their history is much like Shelbys King Cobra having not been complete cars before.

[ QUOTE ]

Where would this leave the cars Bryan Wingfield is finishing? see www.bryanwingfield.com/gt40.html

[/ QUOTE ]

The capitalist system has an answer : unsold (I may be totally wrong here and am prepared to be corrected)

This is a brutal response to a very difficult question - there are the original original GT40's - there is a licensed argument for the Mk V - there are the cars on original tubs or with other significant original parts which is the argument for the Wingfield three as I understand it - then there is the FIA definition for racing which I believe is effectively being watered down for 2004

There is an awesome amount of case law in many jurisdictions trying to define originality but as with so many other things the definition depends on whether you are buying or selling...

The FIA would probably define the Wingfield & Melia cars as continuity (in their 2004 regime) but others may be able to comment better - I think Aston Martin call cars with fewer original parts but built under the factory's authority by the original people : continuity - so far it is a term with no formal meaning

There are comments on originality all round this site but a recent simple example of a complication in the definition is that no-one has a categoric answer 30 years later as to when the Abbey or Tennant tubs began and ended which in turn affects a load of originality issues

Your question is a can of worms and based on some recent posts if others object to my opinion (thats all it is) then I apologise in advance !

IMHO one should only pay up for unmolested,undisputed,no stories originality with known history from day one. Everything else is way cool but it's not worth big bucks. Everything else often costs more to build than it is worth to a thrid party. If you build something. Do it for yourself not what it may be worth.

Well said, Build it and enjoy it. The cost of originality is well beyond most of society. The idea of originality certainly is reflected in market prices and therefore must trickle down to affect the replica markets. Rising popularity and limited availability of originals (along with the cost) & increased publicity ( new GT ) can be seen as factors in the replica market prices.

Since there seems that most "original" cars were modified soon after delivery are there any "TRUE" originals left?
What or who (Ron Spain) would be the best way to track or document GT40's?

Thought this topic would generate more interest, lots of reads few replys go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back