original transaxle

Thought some of you might like to see photos of this pretty rare original GT40 transaxle thats headed to a new home in the UK.

Attachments

• DSC08475.jpg
    DSC08475.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 889
  • DSC08476.jpg
    DSC08476.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC08477.jpg
    DSC08477.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 894
  • DSC08478.jpg
    DSC08478.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 868
For those that aren't gearbox experts, what is it?

Not a ZF, doesn't look much like a T44 so Coletti? Or is the torque converter a clue and its the very very rare auto they tested?

Heres a couple period photos of it being installed at Kar Kraft in J-1 or J-2

Attachments

• fs_208197.jpg
    fs_208197.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 816
  • fs_208195.jpg
    fs_208195.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 874
David, I believe you are correct that it is an automatic. The input shaft is typical of what an A/T input shaft looks like. I can also see what appear to be hydraulic lines in the photos Jay posted.

This is one of the rare T-44 2 speed crash box automatics. There was a real 2 speed auto that used C-6 style internals and failed every test and then these which were realy more of a 2 speed standard shift with a converter as a fluid lock up clutch that worked Ok on smaller tracks like Sebring were the big power engines did not need need all those gears.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
This is one of the rare T-44 2 speed crash box automatics. There was a real 2 speed auto that used C-6 style internals and failed every test and then these which were realy more of a 2 speed standard shift with a converter as a fluid lock up clutch that worked Ok on smaller tracks like Sebring were the big power engines did not need need all those gears.

So, where did this one come from, which individual car(s) was it used in, where is it going and how's it going to be used?

Ron Rowse

No Longer Available
Dear Jay
Robin Searle had (2)of these transmissions in Melbourne Australia. They both came from Lee Holman.Robin had a bad fire and I think (1) was distroyed not sure.
Great Photos.

All are T44s but the first pics are of early KarKraft semi-auto crash box with fluid flywheel as used in X1 GT40 roadster at Riverside testing '65 plus extensive testing at Sebring '66. Trans was good but flywheel kept popping its seals.
N-1-2 'manual' gear selector mechanism.
Different to Chaparral so I believe??

G.

Back