Out of the Closet

In the spirit of the US military ending the "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" policy, I am announcing my exit from the lurker's closet and of joining the forum. I have long been amazed at the knowledge on board and I hope, in the near future, to abuse you for some of it as I plan the configuration of a build.

I've chosen Fran's product at RCR as the basis for the build; Ive talked to him and paid him a visit when in Detroit on business. While I'd like to keep it authentic looking on the outside, I'm not adverse to using some modern technolgy on the inside.

I'm located in western Wyoming where winter can last eight months but still want a vehicle I can enjoy those four months free of ice and snow. I'd like to build it right the first time and enjoy a car that will see mostly street driving with, perhaps, an occational trip to Miller Motor Speed Park outside Salt Lake City to clean the carbon off the plugs.

So if you will accept me as a member I'll try to be a good student and, eventually, fellow owner of a 40.

A note to my fellow newbies: Beware the Paddock for in there lie men of great idle with greater flame throwers who periodically send great licks of flame over a unbreachable wall in an attempt, never successful, to impress upon their opponents their position.

Rich McDowall

Last edited:
Welcome Rich, good luck with the build.
RE the paddock comment. great observation there: I can almost see the antagonists firing up their flame throwers and sending great spurts of flame towards their fellows, only to have them die in vain at the unyeilding butresses of their opponent.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the forum Rich,
Jackson Hole ?
Great micro-brewery for brown beers and good flyfishing too !
Take Fran for a beer there sometime.

Why only Fran ?
know nothing about Flyfishing ( althoug i love the grace of it), but i do know something about beer.

Anyway a very warm welcome into the GT40 community and the RCR community as well.

Don´t hesitate to ask whenever you feel the need

TOM

A note to my fellow newbies: Beware the Paddock for in there lie men of great idle with greater flame throwers who periodically send great licks of flame over a unbreachable wall in an attempt, never successful, to impress upon their opponents their position.

Rich McDowall

Never have more true words been written.
Welcome the the light.

The meadow east of the Tetons - one of my favorite views in the world.
I suppose there would be some great flyfishing there...but I'd rather have a beer and a kayak on that river.

Gentlemen-Thank you for the welcome!

Molleur-I had occation to lay hands upon Fran's racing unit of the SLC at the shop. As our Brit compatriats would put it, "a brilliant piece of kit." And it shares design principles in the chassis and suspension with the GT40 he offers so how could I go wrong?

JimmyMac-The Snake River Brewery wins awards every summer at regional brew fests for their ales. So Scots/Brits fancy an ale now and then. The things I learn on this forum.

Chris-As I'm a nugget(Navy term for first tour aviator) I'm leery of expressing my opinion too often or too loudly. I'd thought the Paddock had come to dominate too much the postings of late and the language was causing Ron to excercize great restraint. With JimmyMac's recent posting on the subject consider my comment support of his views. I've made a pact with myself not to respond on a Paddock subject in the forseeable future unless asked to respond relative to my professional knowledge. As that is not common knowledge nor needs to be I reccin the switch on my back will be mostly in the 'Receive' position rather than 'Send'.

Mesa-I believe you are referring to the Oxbow Bend of the Snake, famous in many of a picture representing Grand Teton Park. I believe you have the engineering skills to enable you to fashion a device to hold your beer while white water kayaking.

So that jealousy does not run rampant on the forum with Fran having an exclusive deal might I suggest, at some point I have wheels underneath me, we rendezvous in Jackson with a herd(flock?,school?) of 40's and SLC's, etc. to drive the infestation of Harleys out front the Cowboy Bar away and regale the ladies and lads inside of our war stories while sitting upon our saddles. Tom, although we would all die to see your car in person, Fran should provide you a loaner. I'll buy the first round to start the stories.

Fran-I expect an adequate discount for the free advertising.

Evil sends

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Rich,
Yes the Oxbow bend view is a beautiful sight.
I used to fish all the way from Bozeman up in Montana down the Gallatin to Yellowstone and then make my way down through the Roosevelt Park to Jackson Hole. The Tetons are a marvellous sight.
There was a great bar there where we met up called the Silver Dollar Saloon if I remember the name correctly.

The SLC crowd are just starting on plans for the first annual gathering (maybe next summer), we have volunteered Doc's place but so far he has not been suckered in. Besides that, his place is got-damned near in MEXICO fer chrisssakes. Jackson, hummmm? Now you could talk me into that.

I was sitting in Jackson having breakfast with Mick (my mechanic) after a race in Steamboat Springs Colorado. We were traveling light so the bike was on an open trailer. From the next table I hear "see that bright bike (mine) it must belong to a girl". Mick never let me forget that.

Yes, so many fish, so little time. That would be the Silver Dollar located in the Wort Hotel. Supposedly Harrison Ford, the actor, was a regular there years back. One night a drunk took him for one of his charactors such that they ended up rolling out onto the sidewalk in a ball of dust and fists. Thereafter Harrison realized he couldn't just hang out with the locals anymore.

If the SLC crowd wants to have a meet in JH this is what I can do. Give me enough time and I'll borrow enough tents to house everyone. I'll locate a camp sufficiently isolated from locals and tourists so you don't scare them too much. Be sure to bring alot of bug repellant. Mind you it is bear country but the smell of whiskey and sound of loud cars would keep them out of camp by day. By night I'm sure the thin nylon of the tents will keep you safe. Be sure you don't leave an empty potato chip wrapper in your car so they don't rip the door off. There were only two separate incidents of tourist's death by grizzly attack in Yellowstone this summer so the odds of anything occurring in camp are remote. Sound like fun?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Rich,
It sounds as though a plan is hatching here.

Perhaps for some of those who don't fancy an early morning call from the omnivores, they could book into one of the ski lodges who offer much cheaper rates during the summer. We once stayed at a big one where the cable car goes up the mountain. I regularly stopped at the Big Sky Resort about eight miles off the Gallatin Pass interstate. The place was almost empty on my visits but the facilities were all staffed. I think this was Ted Turner's business then.
Maybe start at Big Sky and cruise down to Jackson Hole ?
Now that would be one helluva drive.

The best time for me was mid August not only for the trouting but the kids are back to school and the roads around Yellowstone are much quieter. It can get cold in the evenings however.

Think I found a good camping spot for you.

Attachments

• Why you need bear spray  A.jpg
    Why you need bear spray A.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 183
Back