Overtaking Mirrors

My Lotus Esprit (85) had the stick ons. The problem is that they are fairly small. At night you cannot judge where they are as they are comming up on you. I found out the hard way early one mornig on the way to work. I was so busy trying to figure out where the guy was behind and to the right of me (so I could get into the next lane), that I didn't notice the truck in front of me had stopped for a red light. Slid right up under him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif The truck driver couldn't figure out what had happened as he couldn't see me. ( In Georgia, they drive their trucks raised up a bunch) Cost about 10K and 6 mos. to fix.
Like the warning on those passenger mirrors say " Objects in mirror are closer than they apear" The wink mirrors are what I was refering to in my earlier post (much safer too). They can be mounted at the top of the wind screen or on the cage bar if you have one. Have seen some Nascar guys with them.
Bill

Malcolm

Supporter
"I hate bastards creeping up on me."

Creep up on you JP? No intention of doing that. We all intend to blast past you so damn fast that when we do you wish you will have had only internal mirrors as the turbulence of our cars will suck your exterior mirrors clean off your car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In seriousness, Mothercare do a little convex mirror to stick on the centre rear view mirror so you can see little sweetum child trashing the back seats of your car. These could well stick to the flat door section and be used as blind spot mirrors. A blind spot mirror is a very sensible idea in these cars. When on the motorways, I find that I always had to plan to overtake a long way in advance of doing so just to be sure the blind spot was clear. But nothing beats looking over your shoulder to see first hand if the gap is clear. That habit has saved me a few times now in a variety of cars. To me part of good driving is good observation!

I am sure Halfords actually market a blind spot mirror that is meant to stick to the glass of your external mirrors. If you want it internally, just make a small L haped bracket for it.

I don't know if you can set up your mirrors on a 40 as they recommend for doing away with blind spots (haven't reached that point in my build yet). Sitting in the drivers seat, place your head against the window or as far as you can against the door (since there is a gap in the 40 where the window would be on any other car), and adjust the drivers side mirror to the edge of the car. Lean the same distance toward the passengers side and adjust it the same way. When you sit upright and see someone comming up in the main mirror, and they go to pass you (who in their right mind would try that), as they disapear out of view from the central mirror, they will reapear in the side mirror if setup properly no matter which side they choose. When first setting them up it is a little disconcerting as the drivers side mirror apears to be way off. But if you have a buddy to help (assuming you don't have electric mirrors), have him walk around the back of the car and make the fine adjustments. When backing into something close, you do have to lean over to catch the edge of the car.
You can always go the rear view camera route. Put that in the search window of Google and see what comes up. The difficult part is making up your mind which one of the disapearing screens you would like to try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Bill

This morning I was in Wal-Mart and saw flexable mirrors ( about 8" x 10" ) that are made to be cut and glue directly to your old mirror. They may beable to be put on the inside of the door post. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good advice Bill , will try out your setting sytem as with six point harnesses on( even with only four attached on public roads) a turn of the head is just about all you are capable of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Malcolm is right. Best to look over your shoulder. Especially in Brighton with all the uphill gardners! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Back