Overtaking Mirrors

Overtaking mirrors? Is that something you use to reflect sunlight into the mirrors of the guy in front of you? I suggest we have an english to english dictionary somewhere in this forum.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Overtaking mirrors? If you mean mirrors to see people overtaking you, it doesn't happen to GT40's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Obviously forum members here are unfamiliar with the intricacies of the art of the mirror I speak of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It appears on the inside of the side window, it is not external. Thus you achieve of field of vision not seen with standard wing mirrors. In effect you can see your blind spot. I am interested at looking at this option. With no external mirrors you obviously have a much cleaner look.
Look closely at some originals and you will see exactly what I mean.

Regards,

J.P

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
O.K.JP you got me, never heard of them, or seen them. Anything that can cut out the blind spot has to be worthwhile.
Sorry if I came across as a smartarse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it is not the first time and hopefully wont be the last.And now I am really interested in the answer.

Are you talking about the mirrors that go across the top of the windscreen and have 4 or 5 mirrors at different angles to see completely behind you and almost beside you? I think I have seen them before on some track cars, but can't remember where.
Bill

Brian Magee

Supporter
This is one I fitted some time ago. It is from Halfords but was designed to clamp to the door frame. I mounted it with double sided tape. It is chromed plastic and doesn't give the clearest image but it does what I want it to do, warn me when something is along side

Brian.

Attachments

• 30896-Door Mirror 3a.jpg
    30896-Door Mirror 3a.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 394
Brian,

Nice hint when you drive a right hand steerwheel car on the continent where we drive on the 'right' side of the street. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Tx
Fred

[ QUOTE ]
This is one I fitted some time ago. It is from Halfords but was designed to clamp to the door frame. I mounted it with double sided tape. It is chromed plastic and doesn't give the clearest image but it does what I want it to do, warn me when something is along side

Brian.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the idea!

Just need something a little clearer.

Do think you can do away with the wing mirrors altogether and just use the inside jobs?

Regards,

J.P

Here's the 5-panel wink mirror in situ in a custom-built dash. Don't think it would work on a GT40, but it's an interesting idea.

BRECockpit1.jpg

Rob

James, these mirrors are to enable you to see cars overtaking you ! - considering your recent postings - will they ever be used ? Frank

Brian Magee

Supporter
Pat
I don't know who makes these. I bought it in Halfords, our national car accessory shop.

Pat and JP
I would definately not recommend doing away with the exterior mirrors. With the limited vision behind these cars you need all the help you can get especially on motorways when people slow down beside you to take a look. Keep your outside mirrors and use the sill mirror to cover the blind spot.

Brian.

[ QUOTE ]
James, these mirrors are to enable you to see cars overtaking you ! - considering your recent postings - will they ever be used ? Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

No Frank! You see I want to provoc an overtake situation only to nail the throttle and actually see that image in the mirror get very small very quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll demonstrate the procedure this year!

Regards,

J.P

Brian,

Yeah, I think I'll opt for the exterior mirros too. I hate bastards creeping up on me. The more eyes the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,

J.P

Has anyone tried the small stick on mirrors put on their outside mirrors? I have them on my Astro Van and they work very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My external mirrors are so small I'm afraid to cover them up with anything. I like the stick on for trucks and the lke (my wife loves them on her kid hauler).

I've been thinking about the modern LeMans looking "sportscar" line mirrors at www.spatechnique.com. Kind of new Ford GT and they are available in convex.

I've used those small overtaking mirrors on the autobahn in a rental and they were an absolute necessity. I wish I had them last weekend after everytime I took the car out there was a crowd. Neat and all but tiring after awhile just trying to get from point a to point b.

Chuck

Back