Paint ideas - P1076 1968 La Mans Gulf???

Thanks for all of the responses, especially Mark Clapp for finding some photos of the actual car. I've done countless Google searches and it would appear that the 'triangle-fronted-gulf' really is a rare beast.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I bought my car in 2007 knowing that I would re-paint it as I don't like it's existing colour scheme; 7 years later I'm still undecided.

One of the reasons that I like the light blue / orange Gulf is the reaction that it provokes in people (and the fact that it seems 'sellable' in Gulf, if that is ever an issue). For example, last year, Dick Townsend and I were at a charity track day. His car is Gulf, mine is blue with white stripes. Without even asking what engines / chassis / performance they had, the majority of people wanted to go in the Gulf car, with mine almost seeming to be to consolation prize!

I had also pondered a Titanium / Black colour scheme, but with such a colour scheme it looks best if the car is kept in perfect condition; I use my car as much as I can, so it tends to pick up stone chips, all of which is more fitting with a racing colour scheme which is only improved with a little patina.

So.... P1076 in Le Mans in 1968 it is! If I do the orange in vinyl, it will be an easy swap back to more traditional Gulf colours should I ever fancy a change or wish to sell the car.

Thanks again for the input

Darren

NEWS UPDATE...

Nearly a year after starting this post and at last the car is in paint! I've gone for P1076 1968 Gulf colours (number 11) - I don't think anybody else has done this colour scheme??

I spent an insane amount of hours perfecting all of the panel gaps, door/roof heights, fabricating a single nostril, fitting wide arches, fitting a glass rear screen, etc. I know the car won't look totally authentic as it's sporting 17" wheels, but it will be a bit different to the other Gulf cars.

Watch this space for photos...

Darren, I'm sure all your hard work is going to pay off and frankly, it will be nice to see a Gulf car in a different but "authentic" pattern. As far as I know you'll be the first I've seen. Looking forward to the photos.

Here are a couple of pre-paint updates...

I made a new nostril by cutting the old twin nostril and forming a new single airway by making an MDF/flexi-ply mold and glassing over it - it's pretty deep but seems to have a great shape to it.

The rear arches are courtecy of Dick Townsend as the set I had purchased from eBay previously were a really bad fit.

I managed to glass & fill all of the panel gaps to a consistent 3mm using flexible Foamex strips as spacers.

I know it looks rough, but you should have seen it before!

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 223
Congratulations, very nice choice ! I've been very hesitant beetween this combo and the far more classical orange stripped Gulf livery (which I finally chose).

Two pics you surely already saw...

Attachments

• Ford-GT40-11-LM68-7.jpg
    Ford-GT40-11-LM68-7.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Ford-GT40-1074.jpg
    Ford-GT40-1074.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 286

Rune

Supporter
gt40_gulf_1.jpg

gt40_gulf_2.jpg

Howabout this? The Willment car, and my favorite original paint job.

I think of paint my car in this colour but have some problem to find out how to make the big 'gulf decal in front. I think it have to be painted on as a build layer for layer . Someone have a good idea ?

Rune

Rune

Supporter
I think that I have to ask the painter if he have a good idea for doing this , because I'm afraid of getting colour diff between the vinyl and the car . I just have to figure out the cize of the decal. But it is still months away so I think it will be well sorted out until then :)

Rune

If you finally go the sticker route, you could ask to these guys :

Buy Classic Motoring Stickers, Decals & Other Unique Automobilia

They have the largest catalogue of stickers you could imagine, and they can do whatever you want. IMO, if you just ask for a larger "Gulf sticker", they could custom print you a bigger one, as they already have a large one available.
All the stickers on my own car (gulf livery) come from them, with several custom made ones. I must say the orange shade on the Gulf sticker is not exactly the same as the orange stripe one (Porsche reference), but very close, the difference is hardly noticeable... And they're reasonnably cheap.

BTW, fantastic build ! Keep up the magic work !

Back