Choosing color for gt40 MKI

Personally I'm going for dark blue with a white set of centre stripes and side decals.

Previous post was from phone so no links. Basically aiming for something like GT40P/1018

Bonhams 1793 : The ex-Shelby American/Laurie O’Neil,1965 Ford GT40 Endurance Racing Coupe Chassis no. 1018

Also GT40P/1014 but that has no centre stripes.
chassis-1014-no43-mp-68.jpg

Mark,
Cannot find a way to PM
Following our phone call the guy who painted my car was-
Andy
Andys Restorations
271 Captain Cook Drive
Kurnell Ph (02) 9668 8669

AM GT2 was looks to be Guardsman or Nightmist blue with white stripes
Essex wire car White with red/black stripes.
Cheers
PS There is a dark blue DRB on the North side

for what it is worth, my car was silver / black originally and it looked subtle but great. I have recently fixed some crash damage and completed a tidy up on the whole car and repainted it solid Omaha Orange with black stripes (and a subtle white pin stripe). It looks really ballsy / stunning in the flesh.

Attachments

• 070714-512mo-sesround6.jpg
    070714-512mo-sesround6.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 595
  • 2013-03-04 14.46.35 (Large).jpg
    2013-03-04 14.46.35 (Large).jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 706

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
for what it is worth, my car was silver / black originally and it looked subtle but great. I have recently fixed some crash damage and completed a tidy up on the whole car and repainted it solid Omaha Orange with black stripes (and a subtle white pin stripe). It looks really ballsy / stunning in the flesh.

Ricky

That is very nice and quite period actually. Have a look on the net for John Love Team Gunston.

Ian

Hi Mark,
Yes that is it.
Like Rick from WA said his original Silver colour was too subtle.Rick your car now looks fnn great.You need a colour that stands out like a Orange Lambo and dont try and hide with "the crowd".White is for company reps cars.
You are very low to the ground and "want to be seen" as well as heard.
After all "loud pipes save lives".
Call in and have a look at my car 1st then make your mind up which way you want to go.
If I was to do it again I would have painted it Ford Bold Blue with orange and white stripes.

Cheers

Thanx ricky and thanx chris i think you guys have put my mind to ease. Essex wire.it is. I think it is a unique color in terms of others in australia. I just beed to make a decision in wether or noto paint the rondels and numbers On there.any opinions?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If you it to stick out you could do something like this Lambo...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr23MJQapsY]INSANE Lamborghini Diablo GT with Power Craft Exhaust REVS! - YouTube[/ame]

Besides the decision on whether or not to buy a GT40, the color has been the most difficult decision for me. I originally had planned to paint the car some shade of blue with either a white or orange gulf stripe. However, I think I've finally decided on Grigio Telesto (flat gray color from Lamborghini) with an orange gulf stripe outlined in black.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Just to throw another color in the mix. You don't see this too often.

Attachments

• Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 627

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Just to throw another color in the mix. You don't see this too often.

Just because you can does not mean you should ha. That said I'm sure many will question the color selection of mine as I move forward. Some already have. Paint it what you like and don't worry about what someone else thinks.

Quote 1 "i have relised that the gulf blue and orange strip wont look good with out the decals and the roundels. Thi sin effect will make it looking like a track car, and would look a little funny driving it around as a weekend car."

Quote 2 "i think you guys have put my mind to ease. Essex wire.it is. I think it is a unique color in terms of others in australia. I just beed to make a decision in wether or noto paint the rondels and numbers On there.any opinions?"

If you have always wanted a Gulf car but thought it would look too out of place with roundels, I don't think an Essex Wire livery with roundels will look any more like a Toyota Camry than Gulf livery would. I think you should go with whatever makes you happy. Regardless, you will have a cool car that stands out from the crowd.

I have had this problem with my 40's. First one was sell me red. 2nd one was Gaurdsman Blue. This latest one is Highland green.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    548.9 KB · Views: 616
  • 000_1453.jpg
    000_1453.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 613
  • 67543_501918256522835_2114101598_n.jpg
    67543_501918256522835_2114101598_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 619

Mike Pass

Supporter
There are a whole parade of colour schemes here. From the 2008 Le Mans Classic Enthusiasts Club track run.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70lTg5d3LMM]GT40's at Le Mans Classic - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy
Mike

Back