Panel & Paint Questions

Neville B

Supporter
Hello
I have my GT40 on order (should be here in the next few months) but I have a couple of questions if I may, is it better to

1. Fit up all the panels with Clecos then send them all off at once for powder coating
or
2. Fit up all the panels with Clecos to ensure they fit, then rivet and spray in situ with a 2k epoxy type spray can
or
3. Fit up all the panels with Clecos, then remove and spray with 2k epoxy type spray can
or
4. Any other options?

Thank you
Nobber

Neil

Supporter
Nobber, there is a 4th choice.

Instead of a 2k spray can epoxy primer use a good two-part epoxy primer and a $9.99 (on sale) spray gun from Harbor Freight. After use, clean it or throw it away. The 2k spray cans work well but when you are going to cover anything but a small area they are not economical. Do not forget to prepare the aluminum panels by lightly scuffing them with Scotch-Brite pads, wiping them with a solvent such as MEK, acetone, or denatured alcohol, and then wiping them with a phosphoric acid etch and then rinse well with clean water. Handle the panels with nitrile or vinyl gloves to prevent transferring oils from your fingerprints on to the clean panels and then spray on the primer after the panels are totally dry. Having all panels prepared and ready to paint helps things go quicker.

I used, and recommend the 2-part epoxy primer from Aircraft Spruce made by PTI Specialty Paint & Coatings, gallon yellow: p/n 09-00932 and gallon green: p/n 09-00933. These are for a "kit" that includes both components, resin and primer. Not everyone likes the look but, to me the green or yellow finish together with well spaced rivet patterns adds a bit of aircraft panache to the car.

If you order something from Aircraft Spruce make sure you request their free catalog. 1000+ pages of goodies!

Attachments

• Chromate Primer Panels.jpg
    Chromate Primer Panels.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC05461 - Copy.JPG
    DSC05461 - Copy.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_20140727_125749196.jpg
    IMG_20140727_125749196.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20140728_162026532.jpg
    IMG_20140728_162026532.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 440

Neville B

Supporter
Thank you, i didnt think about a cheap spray gun, great idea, should i spray the panels once fitted or removed, thanks again

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I like your #1. If you do the power coat have a clear satin put over your color. If you do your own thing, do some home work on self etching primers. their are good ones and not so good.

Neil

Supporter
Thank you, i didnt think about a cheap spray gun, great idea, should i spray the panels once fitted or removed, thanks again

I would paint the panels after they are drilled and test-fitted. Painting them after they are riveted in place would be a masking tape nightmare.

Neil

Supporter
Sorry forgot to ask, then a top coat over the primer? Thanks

It is a matter of personal preference. I like the zinc chromate colors but if not, go ahead and top coat with a good two-part polyurethane. It comes in all colors. The Epoxy primer that I recommended gives a nice smooth, shiny, hard finish that doesn't need any top coat unless you want a different color.

Neil

Supporter
Ah, so! If the place you are going to paint with a brush is visible at all you will regret it. Brushing on paint never looks as good as it does with a paint gun.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
On a textured rough unfinished fiberglass wheel well, scuff with sand paper to take of some high/rough spots and coat with a bed liner type coating. it will help a lot with respect to rocks and such and help prevent star checks in the paint.

Back