Plan to Build 1 Yr Out. Where to Start?

I agree with Alex, you've got to be a bit flexible on the build. You can build on 10 different areas at once (Clutch, doors, headlights, coolant, etc, etc) and not get bogged down. You've got to morph the build on the way or it ends up not being any fun. That's what this is about in the end, right?

You see guys go in with a strict build plan and need every part instantaneously. They get pissed/overwhelmed/resell. Sure, have a framework in mind but don't get focused in on that 1 part. There are to many facets to enjoy.

And yes I even stated that you need to be flexible. Alex proved out my point about preplanning, he admits to issues with the SLC build due to not having an engine, the drivetrain is a critical component, it should not have been an afterthought, it should have been one of the first items on hand prior to starting.

You don't build a house by going to the jobsite and stating "I'll buy some 2X4's at Home Depot and see where it goes from there.

BTW Alex, I have built several racecars, a few street cars, and currently completing an aircraft restoration project, I talk from experience.

Thanks everyone. When the time comes I will probably just source the crate engine through Fran. Sounds like he has a good local connection with a warranty. My hope is that the Griffin transaxle will be ready by then. If not, the backup plan would probably be the Mendeola followed by a Porsche box. I also plan to source through Fran. May be a few $$ more but the ease of having it taken care of and pre-mounted is well worth it in my opinion.

I've been down the transaxle road before. I did a Porsche 914-6 conversion many moons ago. A lot of guys doing those had somewhat similar issues. The 901 in the car was a little weak in 1st gear for flat 6 and V8 conversions. Some redid the 915 box. Others went to Subaru boxes along with Subaru flat 4 power. I stuck with the 901. Solving the transaxle puzzle is usually one of the biggest issues with any mid-engine car.

Back