Plate on transmission adapter - what is it?

Ron Earp

Admin
If you look on Hershal's photos in the pilot bearing thread you'll see a metal plate in the picture. Hershal, I assume this plate is used to close up the adapter plate area and flywheel from the outside. Did you make the plate? Or, did the plate come with your car? Is there a template? I assume the standard Ford plate won't work due to starter location etc. I don't have one but need to make something as I don't want the flywheel exposed to the elements.

Ron

Ron,
I honestly can't remember if I made the darn thing or not.. I will ask Robert and see what he says. It does look homemade though. It won't be hard to make a pattern for you if Robert doesn't make them.

Hersh:)

Attachments

• 24350-Pilot bearing.jpg
    24350-Pilot bearing.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 357
Ron

I couldn't find it in the price list anywhere so I made my own. Its reasonably easy to make. The bottom shape is taken from the adapter plate and the Aluminium block the starter motor mounts to. The shape around the bottom of the engine is reasonably easy to work out with a bit of cardboard and some scissors (and the usual amount of time).

The one on Hersh's is a bit different to mine in where it sticks up above the sump level on the right hand side of the crank. I did not do that and that area of the plate was a bit wobbly on mine. I ended up with an extra bracket there to ensure the plate would not hit the flywheel. The way it is on Hersh's looks like a better idea.

Regards

John

I had to make a plate for my CAV 40 as it was not supplied with one. It looks similier to one one on Hersh's car. I had my engine hanging on the cherry picker with the trans adaptor and starter mounted. I made a teplate from heavy card stock and tranferred it to a piece of 1/16 alum. A little final trimming was involved but it fits fine. I didn't want to cut the Alum with shears and warp the piece, so a quick trip to Harbor Frieght and I picked up a neat nibbler on sale for about $25.00. I then clear coated the cover and it looks like it belongs where it is.

Vic
CAV 40 Lemans Blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Guys,

The plate is exactly as you discribed it, a flywheel closure plate. It is not priced on the list as it is INCLUDED in the adaptor plate together with all bolts, washers locating dowls and all other fasteners.

A complete kit as I have always said !!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for the info fellows. Mine must have been missed out on the kit as I've got nothing that looks like that and I've been very careful with the parts - made a list, seperated into boxes, indexed, etc. Looks easy to make though and that is what I'll do with the engine hanging on the hoist.

Best,
Ron

One small mystery solved for me:

One of the things I keep stumbling across as I rummage for parts is a cardboard template that Bob Lawrence had obviously put together. Even Hershal couldn't figure out what it was when he was here. Looking at the above picture it is now apparent that the template is for this plate we're talking about.

Once again the forum helps out.

[ QUOTE ]
I had to make a plate for my CAV 40 as it was not supplied with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact they are supplying plates for the ZF and would suspect they are for the Audi. I will check.

Ron Earp

Admin
Mark,

Any cahnce to trace that, scan that, photogragh it, anything so that we can send a copy?

Bob had a number of templates that I did not get such as a rear window, rear wheel arches, etc. I actually have his rear wheel arch template here as he sent it to me a long time ago. If you need it I can send it to you.

Ron

Sure, Ron, I can have my CAD guys scan the template and email you a pdf or a dwg file. Give me a day or so. From the picture above it almost looks like the plate is folded away from the camera at the right side of the photo, and such a fold is not depicted on the tamplate I have. I take it there is no fold and it's only an artifact of the photo. Also, the outside edge of the template is not circular but is shaped to match the adapter plate, so that it must be sandwiched between the block and the adapter plate. Is the front surface of the adapter plate relieved to accept the thickness of the aluminum?

Ron Earp

Admin
No, it is not releived. I'm going to look at mine tonight. It might be a lot easier to bond using 3M 5200 a plate onto the outside of the adapter plate to seal it and forget the sandwiching deal. You really don't need to go in there for anything..

Let you know,
Ron

Ron

Does your adapter plate have 6mm threaded holes around the bottom edge. Mine had some to hold the aluminium to the adapter plate. I doubt the aluminium should go between the adapter plate and the block. If it did the thickness would matter.

Regards

John

Gary,
My CAV did not come with the cover plate for the Getreg box and I have not made one yet. I should have made a pattern before installing the engine. If you drive the car in the rain water will get into the starter and take out the starter solenoid. I know because it happened to me. If you come up with an acurate pattern I can laser cut a bunch at work for all the CAV's that need/want one.

John, I had sent it to you on 6 November but it must not have made it through to your AOL account. And since Jay and others may want this file, I tried to post it here but this site won't let me attach a .pdf file. Therefore, I'll post it to my web site and will post a link shortly.

The template was scanned and converted to a small (7k) .pdf file. If you print it to 11x17 (tabloid) paper the scale should be spot on. I also drew a scale on the original so you can scale it up or down as needed. Print and trim to the outside edge.

Right click, save as

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
John et all,

These plates were a later alteration and are used to protect the flywheel from foreign object damage. I am more than happy to send a plate or template to anyone of Roaring Forties customers that want one.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back