Polyester resin, supplier, switch to low VOC?

I'm 3D printing a Darth Vader helmet and assembling it out of multiple pieces. I bought a small bottle of polyester resin as part of a standard body patch kit, the fiberglass will be used to reinfoce the joints in the assembled piece. I also picked up a tub of microspheres to mix in for sandability and weight reasons, that stuff is fun, haven't used it since my aircraft maintenance training. Figured I wouldn't need a big container just to play around with it for a costume, however the stuff is pretty pricy per oz. Anybody know of good suppliers of resin and microspheres that won't break the bank per oz. but have good quality? I also noted that the resin is now brown instead of the stinky green I used to work with in those kits...did they switch to a low VOC formulation? It's nowhere near as obnoxious as it used to be.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Check these guys out...

I've had great results using West Systems Epoxy Resins....

Use of epoxy resin is much more advised
Using polyester stuff in a helmet (even is a replica star war item)will;
1/ smell badly for very long time this caracteristic polyester strong odor ( quite for ever !!)
2/ be much more brittle in case of chocks or watever hard handling

Concerning "microsphere" choice of microballon is also advised instead becuase you can have abetter final aspect with less work in sanding
Microsphere are hollow ( to be lighter ) opposed at Microballon

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

@ Michel

Microsphere vs. microballoons - I couldn’t find a source on the difference? I’ve heard the names used interchangeably, the differences only being the material (silica or plastic) and sphere size/thickness.

I chose polyester for this project because I’d printed it using ABS, and polyester provides a better bond vs epoxy which is only a mechanical bond. I’ve had the epoxy crack on a previous project. Regardless, the joints will be reinforced with fiberglass strips to prevent cracking. The helmet will be painted and sealed, so the polyester will be only one of many competing odors while wearing it, lol.

quick edit: I never thought to look - The SL-C body is polyester or epoxy? I generally prefer using epoxy thanks to the wider variety of everything available, but neither seem to be an issue with the RCR bodies.

Reactions: Mic

Kyle

Supporter
Could be wrong but I think the bodies are poly, cheaper easier to lay down and they might even spray it.

Back