Porsche G50-G96

G50 –G96 Gearboxes

Are the mounting faces on the G96s the same as the G50s ? I have found lots of information on the G50 but very little on the G96s

Thanks

Neil

There are several series of G96 transmissions. The regular Carrera G96.0x manual gearboxes do NOT have the same bolt pattern, circle, radius, diameter, or anything as a G50. The Turbo and GT3 gearboxes DO have the same old G50 bolt pattern & circle. Same as a G50 or G50/50. Bigger price though ;-)

If we can find ways to use the G96.0x transmissions (in kit cars), that will break open the G50 shortage once and for all. Porsche made thousands of G50 cars, but they made over 100,000 of each of the later ones.

Summary of G96 types, quite a variety really:

G96.00 and G96.01 - standard 996 Carrera.
G96.30 and G96.31 - 996 C4 (AWD).
G86 are the Boxster version of G96/0x.
These all have the NEW bellhousing bolt pattern.

Then come the big ones which all evolved from the G50/50:

G96.50 - AWD twin turbo
G96.88 - 2WD GT2 turbo
G96.90 - GT3 transmission
G96.96 - GT3 2004+, with gear oil pump & heat exchanger
These all have the OLD (G50) bellhousing bolt pattern

All are cable-shifters, no more shift-rod

My understanding is that the G96 and G86 have basically the same internals as talked about here for example. I'm using a G86 5 speed, although there have been comments that they're not as strong as a G50, there's no shortage of them on eBay what if any advantages would people see to using the "common" versions (G96.00 and G96.01 I would assume) of the G96 instead of the G86?

Thanks,

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry I Doug, I don't see any advantages particularly if this quote from the article in question is true!

The standard 996 gearbox (G96.00, G96.01, G96.30, and G96.31) is a development all its own which is similar to some current VAG (VW Audi Group) products, but shares almost nothing with other Porsche transmissions. There are many 996s that have suffered from ring and pinion failures, synchronizers, and other maladies at a variety of mileages. The only fix is to replace with a Porsche remanufactured unit, or a good used one. Parts for these gearboxes cannot be obtained by the manufacturer or Porsche. They unfortunately cannot be fixed.

Cheers,

Yep that's what I'd read also, hopefully it won't happen to me but only time will tell.
I think the quote above is slightly out of date as I believe there are spare parts available for these boxes now, from here for example.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Don't know how it perfomed, but the "Red Back"(super car?) were trying what looks like a boxter trans coupled to a chevie

Attachments

• eng2.jpg
    eng2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,904
  • eng5 (Medium).jpg
    eng5 (Medium).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,248
Porsche finally released the parts and diagrams for these transmissions, roughly a year ago. The article from Lufteknic is good, they know their stuff. Their website is not updated often though, and has not been updated for this issue though AFAIK. The G96 and G86 transmissions are now serviceable. And the parts are generally more affordable and available than a corresponding G50 component.

Re: the failures mentioned by Lufteknic, since there are over 100,000 of each of these models out there, with larger numbers come more problem reports. With ten times as many units on the road, I would expect to hear of ten times as many problems. By percentage these are still reliable units. Some may wear out the main bearing faster, but so can G50's -- Porsche says to check the race gearboxes every 30 hours. All gearboxes need maintenance, so why not use one that is more plentiful and easier to service or replace?

A replacement G96 gearwheel for example is $200 to $300 new from any dealer. That beats $1000+ for a matched-pair-only for a G50. Also some of the G50 gears have non-replaceable dog teeth (syncro teeth). The teeth that are replaceable cost almost as much as a G96 gear, and are only available aftermarket. While the G96 dog teeth are included for free from the factory. But it is no fun having the expense of replacing a gear pair because the syncro teeth are worn out but welded on.

I really like the G50, just trying to help explain the G96/G86 option. The supply & demand equation on the G50's is not good, while the supply & demand on the G86/G96 is a lot better.

Some of the 996 Carreras are putting as much as 350 hp through the stock G96. Ultimately the G86/G96 probably won't handle as much power as well as a G50, but it will be interesting to see if the aftermarket or builders can work any of those issues. Note however that the normal G50 was used on a car that only made 220 to 280 hp. It was only the G50/50 which went above 400 hp from Porsche, and as you all know there are very very few out there. They are hard to find, expensive to buy, and expensive to maintain. It is easy to think of a G50 as a G50/50, but that is incorrect.

Jm is correct,

The G96, and G86 type gearbox is now comepletely serviceable and is far less expensive than a rare vintage Tubo G50. These boxes were also popular to put into 4 spd Porsches or to update earlier cars with NA gearboxes that are producing more power. It's not like the Porsche race community does not want these and tosses them out. There is very good demand for quality G50 units in the Porsche race community and the kit/mid-engine market.

We have had extensive experience with the current G96 and G86 gearboxes and I have all replacements parts available and service these regularly. The G86.20 ( Boxster 6 spd.) seems to be a stout gearbox, and we make some internal machining modifications to help with dog teeth wear and synchro/slider wear. All gearboxes when raced require service and these are no exception. When properly setup and/or rebuilt they can hold a good amount of power. Once you get into the 500-600hp range, you may want to consider stepping up to something more race specific. However, the price for performance like JM has stated is very good when servicing these later model gearboxes. The parts are fairly inexpensive when compared to the earlier G50 turbo units.

Back