Porsche Transaxle

Pedro

Supporter

Attachments

• 60548-52_1_b.jpg
    60548-52_1_b.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 316
any idea how much i would cost to convert this trans for mid engine use?i would like to replace the renault turbo box in my new(to me) gt40nz.

You'd need a new adapter plate, and flywheel from Kennedy. If the bell housing has been machined all the way to the back you can run the older clutch, the older design and the Tilton starter. The adapter is cheaper, but the clutch, pressure plate, and starter are more expensive. The pressure plate is very heavy.

If the bell housing has not been fully machined inside ... and later ones were not, you'd need to do that or use the newer style flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and Porsche starter.

You may also need to replace the tail housing with a shorter one.

The Kennedy stuff is $800 to $1000 depending on what you can and then choose to do. A newer style clutch and pressure plate are:

Clutch Disk
Porsche part number for "Club" clutch disk with the springs
I2010-60518

Pressure Plate
Porsche part number for 3100-3400 lb clamp force pressure plate for 1992-911 Turbo:
I2000-33738

(This pressure plate is more than 11 pounds lighter than the G50/50 pressure plate.)

They can be bought on the internet at major vendors and are not terribly expensive. Make sure you get the right part numbers.

This set up is supposed to be good to 525 lb-ft of torque according to Kennedy.

Call them ... they are very helpful!

KEP 1-661/ 272-1147
38830 17th Street East
Palmdale, CA 93550

Brett is their "go to" guy for Porsche stuff last I called. Also, if you order any Kennedy adapter, tell them you want to run the gearbox inverted!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Scott,

What it appears to be is this:
G50-05 LSD- 911 Carrera 2 & 911RS America---USA---since 1992 model

I'm may be wrong but research that ID #. Ideally, what you want would be G50\50 or G50\52 (they’re strongest, respectively). The ebay item appears to be a G50 but not a G50\50 or \52.

The seller maybe only listing the first 6 digits because there should be 12 digits (11 min). In addition, I would request a digital picture of the serial number before I paid for it to be certain it has all it's numbers.

The 12 digit serial number structure of G50xx, goes as follows:

eg: G5052 2 L xxxxx

G5001, G5002, G5003, etc. = transaxle type

The next digit indicates variations in that particular transaxle, eg., 0 = no differential, 1 = "normal" differential, 2 = ZF limited slip

The letter code designates the model year. H = 1987, J = 1988, K = 1989, L = 1990, M = 1991. The model year "letter" was omitted, as of 1992.

The last five digits designate the serial number of the specific gearbox in question.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
I paid $3500 for this exact trans from a Porsche salvage place. Then spent another $2,000 on HiPo clutch, flywheel, starter, hydraulics. I machined the bell housing out to fit the older clutch setup so the Tilton starter could be used. Now word is that the Porsche HD starter works to crank a SB Ford. You will have to cut off and machine the long rear case or replace with the shorter style. The long type won't fit in a GT40.

Don't use the stock Porsche slave cylinder, it's $125 and doesn't have a good angle for inverting, The Audi Unit is $35 and has a good angle. I'll dig up a part number.

This is a G50-05 like Tim says, not the more coveted and rare 50-50 or 50-52. The 50-5X's are stronger than the 50-0X's due to a larger ring and pinion but the 50-5X's are in the $7,000 range and getting rare as hens teeth.

If you want the ultimate info source on these Porsche trannys talk to Roger Brown at Powerhaus II in CO.

Guys,

I took the pic of this transaxle and compared it to my G50/52 (which has the correct serial number code to be a G50/52 built in 1992) ... and with the exception of ports added to mine by PMS, it looks very, very similar. (pic is on the build thread on Sabre 6210 Progress)

I do agree that the full serial number will certainly tell the entire story, but I'd certainly want to see that before I discounted this one as a reasonable opportunity.

i have requested a photo of all the markings on the trans. waiting for a response. thanks

Back