Power boat racing

Jim, the pics from post #1 and # 14 were taken in Hamilton. The bridge in Cambridge looks similar with the exception of the level of the roadway being much higher above water level.

Leon, thank you for explaining how this race "works". I would like to add that one of the main reasons for the race being started in a staggered fashion is that in some places the river is very narrow with just enough space for one boat at a time, especially thru " The Narrows". See pic.

I would also like to extend an open invite to anyone who wishes to post pics or images of power boat racing . Feel free to do so. This is not only my thread as Leon suggests but is open to all of us.

Z.C.

Attachments

• the narrows.jpg
    the narrows.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 189
Its is pretty skinny through there at 90mph. Your always looking for the shortest course so you cut the corners as tight as you can even ducking under the willows if needed, I'm not kidding I have seen skiers with willow leaves stuck in the goggle straps. The last year we ran I went past the ramp were you launch in Hamilton so close the skiers reconed they could have Hi Fived the spectators standing on the ramp. In a SMOC boat the only corner you needed to lift was the one just up from the finish line when heading north, again in our last year I told Mark and Andy (the skiers) I was going to cut the apex so tight they may need to duck under the willows and let the boat drift out and hope there was enough river to to get through without lifting it worked but that is why we ended up so close to the left bank I just stayed up it and went past the ramp about 2mtrs off it. If you look at some of the pics you can see how little of the boat is actually in the water so when corning at full speed the hull drifts much the same as a car over steering so you have to put in a little opposite lock, that is a fine edge and I have spun (Broached) the boat. In a race that is instant disqualification. I watched a boat come out of the water at about 80mph in choppy water when it landed it speared off to the right Thankfully as we were on his left back about 100ft, he headed to the beach and only after the race did we see why, because the boat came down at an angle it tore the motor clean off the transom and only the steering cables were holding it from going to the bottom of the lake. It is real exciting seat of your pants driving and the drivers often joked that if we weren't pulling those anchors behind us it would be awsome. Cheers leon

Back