Preliminary dyno results for my SLC's engine

Yep... if you plan on driving fast... you will be on those brakes hard. Flat spotting tires gets expensive. It seems to be the right side front also - most times. An accurate corner balancing may alleviate most of the one tire flat spotting issue. I don't have scales and I'm cheap (frugal) so usually do minor height adjustments till the one wheel lock up disappears. The wheel that is locking up - gets an additional turn or less (more compression) into the shock spring of the offending corner.

Tommy Archer set up my Viper so that the corner weights were within two pounds of each other (with me in the car) and it still happened four times. Not all tracks are pool-table flat...

JR

They have not yet delivered a transaxle to anyone, to the best of my knowledge. I was supposed to get one of their first three sequential boxes, which were supposedly the first boxes of any type they were going to make. That was last June. No contact from them since August. I don't want to use the word vaporware, but I couldn't wait indefinitely.

Maybe next year we'll all be singing a different tune.

JR

That's disappointing. I have pictures I've never posted of their billet transaxle case from 2011 when I visited Fran to pick up my SLC. DeLynn made posts that read like the rest of the box was a combination of existing available parts from gear and other suppliers. At least for the syncro'd boxes as I remember.

JR,

Tommy Archer knows Vipers for sure. The ABS debate will rage on. There must be some value in them. Even Vipers from 2001 on had them....

Here are the full specs on the 442 ITB motor from Thomson: 4.130" Bore x 4.125" Stroke. 11.8:1 Compression Ratio. Cam specs .669/.685 lift, 251/262 duration @.050, 113/118 deg lobe separation.

Last pull peak power 739.9 @6500 peak torque 652.1 @5400

The original numbers in my first post were Brian going by memory on the phone, where he transposed a few digits. The ones above are from the dyno printout and the build sheet.

JR

JR,

Tommy Archer knows Vipers for sure. The ABS debate will rage on. There must be some value in them. Even Vipers from 2001 on had them....

I had an '02 ZO6 with the ABS, and really didn't see any reason for it, til one day. Driving in a heavy rain down the highway, I could feel the ABS actively working, keeping the hydroplaning tires in contact with the pavement and the car in a straight line. Very impressive. Then along comes a kid in an import and passes me, I thought, this is going to be interesting. No more had he passed me then he started rounding the corners off of his car on the inside concrete barrier. In that respect, I think ABS or whatever was actively working would have some benefit. I think traction control would be more of a benefit, and maybe that is part of it.

Here are the full specs on the 442 ITB motor from Thomson: 4.130" Bore x 4.125" Stroke. 11.8:1 Compression Ratio. Cam specs .669/.685 lift, 251/262 duration @.050, 113/118 deg lobe separation.

Last pull peak power 739.9 @6500 peak torque 652.1 @5400

The original numbers in my first post were Brian going by memory on the phone, where he transposed a few digits. The ones above are from the dyno printout and the build sheet.

JR

That is a heck of a motor John. LS engines make a very good platform.

Looks like I'll be waving John by A LOT on the straight away this summer. That or I'll put my Kaase big block Ford in the track car. It won't turn then, but I won't have to see John's tail lights every time down the front straight. It's a real good thing I don't suffer from the "keeping up with the Johns" or I might go broke trying. LOL Should be a beast to see.

Back