Put your pilot bearing in......

Ron,
That's a good idea to check with Robert. I'm not saying mine is in correctly, I'm saying it works and if it is in wrong then it must work both ways. I don't see any problems
with it as yet but I still would like to know for sure as you do.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my good buddy Ed suggested I measure it all and check it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget your good buddy Gary he suggested you measure it too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Would that be CAV Gary Gibbs on the RF support page...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Gary of course! And a useful suggestion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I measured it again more carefully and it looks like it would be dead on the way I've got it. Once I stir up another set of hands I'll have a go at mating it up and see what it does. A hoist just doesn't quite do it for this type of work. I'll keep you posted,

Ron

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Ron, your drawings are correct and the photos also. The bearing has to be placed to give maximum support for the Audi input shaft. Please remember that we did not design the engine and gearbox as one as normal car designers do, we only made them fit eachother. There is not quiet enough input shaft sticking out of the bellhousing and this was compensated by allowing the spiggot bearing housing to extend. If you are worried you should measure the position of the bearing and the input shaft bearing area from a common datum (I suggest the adaptor plate ). This will show that they match or not.

As a foot note , I am particularily pleased that this attention to detail is being used by our Roaring Forties owners (I am sure this is not only a trait that applies to RF owners - don't want to ruffle any feathers), this will hold you in good stead when you need to maintain her over the many years of enjoyment on the open roads.

Good luck and Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for the compliment and info Robert. Gary, you and Ed made the right suggestion first - forget the manual or anything else - just measure it and see what is up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a buddy that will be over tomorrow to help out with mating it up so as soon as I get that piece done I'm definitely posting photos. I've had to fool with this damn box fo much over the last few months it is unbelievable! First I messed around with the box for weeks trying to get the LSD in and set it up only to find out the box would need a $750 rebuild. I opted to purchase a brand new box for $1250, so, now I've got a brand new turbo box with the ratios listed in the other thread. Not quite as good as a 3U, but very close. Good thing is it is new!

Best,
Ron

Ron, thanks for this thread, I am about to install the beaing. I have been looking for a new (or rebuilt) Audi box with no luck, could you email me information on where you got your new box.

Thanks

Back