Quaife Limited Slip Diff

Ron Earp

Admin
Does the Quaife limited slip diff need any friction modifer or similar when installed in the Audi gearbox?

Ron

Ron,
When I did mine (with qualified help) it was a plug and play deal. The Diff needed no spacers no shims or anything special. We pulled one and threw in the other. Same lube and all's well
John

Quaife recommend Silkolene 75W90 in their ATB Diff. I recall " TRANS X "? With NO friction modifiers. Roy Smart and Dave Parker have more knowlege of different lubricants ( all be it using Renault box's) with these ATB's

Ron Earp

Admin
Audi recommends GL-4 lubericant for their transaxles, NOTHING else! Not a combination fluid like GL3, GL4, GL5 or anything else. A fellow explained it to me saying that GL-5 has twice as much molybdenum in it and would essentially come out of suspension and damage parts as particulates.

In any case, not sure about that but VW/Audi will not warranty new transxles unless GL-4 is used and only GL-4. So, I'm using Red Line GL-4 with no friction modifers as you suggest.

So, folks with Sudi transaxles might want to give this a try.

Ron

According to the Quaife product guide NO friction modifiers should be used with Quaife ATB's. They recomend Fuchs Silkolene "Silktran Syn 5" an API GL4/5 SAE 75W-90. Ron i don't know how this affects your Audi GL4 warranty dilema?

Ron Earp

Admin
There isn't a warranty on mine anyhow. Mainly they say the GL-4 is for the sychros which get buggered with anything else.

R

Back