question on transaxle

Hi Guys,
Picked up a 1991 016 Audi transaxle with an "MR" ratio set. This box has an additional switch on the back of the 5 speed housing. The s/w is identical to the reverse light s/w by the selector shaft but seems to be operated by the 5th/rev selector shaft going towards the rear of the car (ie in 5th gear). Can anyone shed light on what this s/w is for??
cheers
Dave

Hi Dave
I to have a 3V09093 '016' with the same switch in the rear housing. Both manuals I have dont even show the housing machined for this, sorry cant help.

Clayton
confused.gif

G

I have been using the Audi 016 transaxle for over ten years now with a standard 82 Mustang engine and no problems. I have connected the rear switch in question to a green indicator light on the dash (together with an amber one for reverse) This comes in handy when cruising to get a visual check to see if you are in 5th. What the original intention for this switch was, I don't know.
Regards, Vic

I believe the switch is a 5th gear indicator. I will be doing as Victor discribed. One light for reverse and one for 5th gear.
John

G

I wonder if the 5th gear is actually an overdrive and this illuminated and OD indicator??

How about using it to change the rev limiter for 5th gear vs. the other gears (if you have something like an MSD 6AL)? i.e. set it lower for the lower gears so you don't blow up the engine if you miss a shift, but higher for 5th gear for more top-end speed when you're out on the salt flats...
smile.gif

The switch is for the upshift indicater. As best i can tell it is meant to stop the little upshift arrow from appearing when you are in 5th, the wiring schematics are a little vague.

Maybe this switch 'tells' engine management that it can use the revised mapping aimed at economy and not performance?

Hi guys,
Many thanks for all the replies. Even the Audi guys couldn't tell me. I had a thought since that it may be for the cruise control (only engage when in 5th) ...Switching off the gear change indicator looks most feasible... have to think of some useful way of using it
smile.gif

cheers
Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
To end the wonder what the switch does I checked out the Audi 5000s Haynes manual for the car/box. Good photos for diassembly by the way.

The switch is called the "Econometer" switch according to the manual and just lets the computer know the car is in 5th to quit lighting the upshift arrow. Just as explained a few posts above.

The 5th gear shaft rod hits the end of the switch and turns it on and off.

The Hanyes manual is quite good if you need to service this transmission.

Ron

Back