R C R Nemesis

According to the Wikipedia, the Legends cars now use a sealed Yamaha 1250CC engine. They've never used the Hayabusa engine as that would have way more power than they want and could use, since they also have a spec tire that's not terribly sticky (on purpose for longevity). I believe they probably have an engine builder take crate Yamaha engines and dyno and seal them, and it's probably not more than a 110HP or so package. And with the gearing they run, you're not revving it out terribly badly or anything...again, for longevity.

Fran, you missed my question above...what's the rationale on the choice of electric reverse instead of a mechanical such as the diff from Quaiffe?

And Cobras are inherently cool, sure, but you'll have a WAY better track car with an SL-R, IMHO. That's where I'd spend MY money if I wanted a $20k track weapon, and I'm a Cobra lover. But my Cobra plans would include a big block in front and not bothering how well it turned. But to each his/her own, of course! :)

--Donnie

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
my radical had a electric reverse...

Did i ever use it in 2 years?
NO.
Why was it there then?
To keep the scrutineers happy at 750mc bikesports
Did it work?
No..but 2007 season 750s had a crack down and everyone failed.
Was it a complete pain in the arse..
YES!
Was the radical compromised in any way and did i ever think about making it a drive to the circuit, drive around town and then put it around a circuit type machine?
No! i enjoyed ripping the fook past fast road cars. i was at a track with a road going supercharged hyabusa SR3 and he was driving it like a complete plonk...in his own words "he did have to drive it home afterall"
Why did i get rid of it?
Mainly due to spending time abroad and offered money but a downside is - its at least a 2man car to run with its bodywork.
Is my dinner ready?
yes..gotta go! (sausage and chips).......

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
I can't help but think that you just described the SL-R. In fact I am hard pressed to think of another mid engined, open topped and single seat car that was actively marketed as a road car. I have to wonder if there really is a market for it at all.

-Open top
-Mid-engine
-Single seat
-Road car
-for people with imited fabrication abilities

seams to be a very narrow niche indeed.

Ultimately, are we are talking about is a few lines of code for the CNC at the time of chassis fabrication? If so then no big deal, and it would be short sighted not to at least consider it. But i suspect the "road car" part is a lot less about the mounting points then the wiring and interfaces. That will require resources that seems to defeat the purpose of this car.

Furore Formula One Kitcar

wouldnt you just love to be seen driving this.......?????????

so wrong in so many ways.

Furore Formula One Kitcar

wouldnt you just love to be seen driving this.......?????????

so wrong in so many ways.

At that point all you need is about 400,000 quid and you can set yourself on fire with one of these.

caparo-2dt1-2dfront.jpg

On its wheels....

Attachments

• Picture 067 (Small).jpg
    Picture 067 (Small).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,168
  • Picture 068 (Small).jpg
    Picture 068 (Small).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 941
  • Picture 069 (Small).jpg
    Picture 069 (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 634
  • Picture 070 (Small).jpg
    Picture 070 (Small).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 647
  • Picture 071 (Small).jpg
    Picture 071 (Small).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 699
  • Picture 072 (Small).jpg
    Picture 072 (Small).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 646
  • Picture 073 (Small).jpg
    Picture 073 (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,294
  • Picture 074 (Small).jpg
    Picture 074 (Small).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 8,075
  • Picture 075 (Small).jpg
    Picture 075 (Small).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 715
  • Picture 076 (Small).jpg
    Picture 076 (Small).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 750
  • Picture 077 (Small).jpg
    Picture 077 (Small).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Picture 078 (Small).jpg
    Picture 078 (Small).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 708
  • Picture 079 (Small).jpg
    Picture 079 (Small).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,740

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fran - I love the car, the concept and the progress...

While I know that this is not the "finished product" I thought I'd go ahead and copy/paste the SCCA roll-cage rules for the formula cars below. I found it odd that apparently they no longer require (at least in the GCR) straight diagonal bracing either front or rear to the main hoop..

Formula Category Rules
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club Rules/09 GCR/FCS.pdf
E.8. Roll Cage
Cars shall have a full roll cage complying with section 9.4, made of steel, designed so that when viewed from overhead, an opening, having a minimum width of fourteen (14) inches and a minimum length of seventeen (17) inches is available for driver extraction under emergency conditions.

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club Rules/09 GCR/2009GCR.pdf

The rules in the Formula category for Roll Cage say to refer to section 9.4

((for your convenience))

9.4.5. ROLL CAGES FOR FORMULA CARS AND SPORTS RACERS
All Formula and Sports Racing automobiles are required to have full roll
cages. Cage may be of two designs, low front hoop (top of steering wheel)
or high front hoop (equal to rear hoop) but with no diagonal brace. Two
(2) seat Sports Racers shall have full cockpit width cages. All tube frame
automobiles shall have both front and rear hoops formed of tubing per
9.4.5.E.4. On automobiles of full monocoque construction, a fabricated
sheet metal front hoop structure may be approved upon specific application to the SCCA. Closed cockpit sports racers cages may be constructed in accordance with 9.4 Roll Cages for GT and Production based cars. All Formula Car and Sports Racing roll cage tubing specifications must meet the current GCR specifications, effective 1/1/98.
A. Main Hoop
The main hoop shall be constructed of tubing per 9.4.5.E.4. The minimum bend radius shall not be less than three (3) times the tube diameter measured from the tube centerline. The main hoop shall not be less than two (2) inches above the driver’s helmet, seated normally and restrained by seat belt/shoulder harness. A straight line drawn from the top of the main hoop to the top of the front hoop shall pass over the driver’s helmet. On Formula cars and single seat Sports Racers the vertical members of the main hoop shall not be less than fifteen (15) inches apart (inside dimension) at their attachment to the chassis. If the hoop does not go to the belly pan, proper gussets and tube triangulation shall be used under its attachment. On monocoque chassis the main hoop shall be welded to mounting plates not less than .080” thick. It is important that these plates be attached to the chassis in such a way as to spread the loads over a wide area. There shall be a plate of equal thickness on the inside of the monocoque with solid rivets or bolts (5/16” minimum bolt diameter) through the non-ferrous material.
B. Front Hoop
Low front hoops must be no lower than the top of the steering wheel.
It is recommended the hoop extend to the belly pan. If not, it shall be attached to the chassis with gussets and triangulation in order to spread the loads. In automobiles of full height (top of the steering wheel) monocoque or composite construction, a steel cap plate, not less than .080” thick must be attached as a rub block.
C. Roll Cage Bracing
1. The main hoop must have two forward braces extending from the hoop and attached to the frame, monocoque, or front hoop. Braces must be attached as near as possible to the top of the hoop but must not be more than six (6) inches below the top and at an included angle of at least thirty (30) degrees.
If these braces do not extend to the front hoop, an additional brace or gusset (14 gauge - .078” minimum thickness) must be installed between the lower frame rail and the upper frame rail at the point of attachment of the forward hoop brace. If these braces do not extend to the front hoop, an additional brace or gusset must be installed at the point of attachment to the main rear hoop or lower frame rail or other major frame member in such a manner as to reinforce the attachment point to help prevent collapse of the frame rail at the point of attachment. These tubes shall be 1” x .080” minimum and gussets shall be 14 gauge - .078” minimum thickness.
Two seat Sports Racers with full width main hoops must incorporate a lateral brace to prevent lateral distortion of the hoop (See figure 12). All bracing on full width cages must be the same diameter and wall thickness as the main hoop. Formula and single seat Sports Racers under 1500 lbs., may use bracing with a minimum dimension of 1.0” diameter by .080” wall thickness. Braces attached to monocoque chassis must be welded to plates not less than .080” thick and backed up on the inner side by plates of equal thickness using bolts of Grade 5 or better with 5/16” minimum diameter.
2. The front hoop must have two (2) braces near its top extending
forward to protect the driver’s legs. It is recommended that this bracing extend to the bulkhead in front of the driver’s feet; but in any case it must be integrated into the chassis to provide substantial support for the front hoop. Full width front hoop bracing shall be a minimum dimension of 1.0” diameter by .080” wall thickness tubing.
Formula and single seat Sports Racers under 1500 lbs., may use tubing with a minimum dimension of 1.0” diameter by .080” wall thickness. When monocoque construction is used as bracing for the front hoop, it must be approved on an individual basis. If a high front hoop is used, it must be similar in shape to the rear hoop and have two horizontal tubes connecting the top of the front hoop to the top of the main hoop. The bracing for the main hoop remains the same.
3. Removable bracing must incorporate connectors of the double-lug, tapered, or muff-type as shown in figures 14, and 15. The double-lug type must include a doubler, gusset, or capping arrangement so as to avoid distortion or excessive strain caused by welding.

Carry on!!! I'm loving it....

BTW - I hope that your suspension members remain mild steel - that way their replacement will be more affordable! :)

Thanks Randy...

I had a good read through that stuff previously...

There are a couple of little tricks that will keep the Nemesis servicable and on track for longer...
Modular suspension points that are removable and replaceable in the event of taking a corner off the car...
Universal uprights..
Universal control arms
Universal rockers
Quick adjust Camber control function...for F and R upper arms.

Just a few details....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very good Fran.. I meant to type MOLY steel - but my fingers betrayed me!!!

Do you want to buy one of the first ten???....if so contact me directly....five spots already gone...
The first ten guys will be have the opportunity to acquire a Nemesis at production spec but for a much reduced cost...

Back