Random aerodynamics question?

Can someone explain the purpose of the vents in front of the front wheels on some supercars and race cars? Is it meant to deal with a certain pressure zone, does it contribute to downforce or is it meant for something else? There are many of them but below are some examples of what I'm talking about.

Saleen S7
saleen-s7.jpg

Mercedes CLK-GTR
8404e_Mercedes_CLK_GTR_red.jpg

Koenigsegg CCX
koenigsegg-ccx.jpg

Ferrari 430 Scuderia
ferrari-430-scuderia-spider-16m-at-bologna-motor-show_1.jpg

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Draw in cold outside air and cool the brakes for the next corner with hard braking. Often even with open wheels not enough air passes the rotors to effectively cool them. If it was an open wheeled F1 car no need for inlets like that.

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Or in these cases cool the radiator mounted in the front while the motor is mid/rear.

BTW love the 911 GT1 pic. Best looking Porsche with the 962.

I can't say for every car shown, but my understanding it is to exhaust air from the back side of a radiator (such as the case with the Ferrari) and or create a low air pressure zone in front of the front wheel which has the tendency to pump air to the front of the wheel opening and thus create high air pressure. You can see evidence of this in NASCAR - as to get more down force they flare out the wheel opening on the side that needs more down force. Same air deflecting principle. It also can help cool brakes as the (hot) air trapped in the high air pressure zone of the wheel house can escape if a low air pressure area can be created instead.

I can't say for every car shown, but my understanding it is to exhaust air from the back side of a radiator (such as the case with the Ferrari) and or create a low air pressure zone in front of the front wheel which has the tendency to pump air to the front of the wheel opening and thus create high air pressure. You can see evidence of this in NASCAR - as to get more down force they flare out the wheel opening on the side that needs more down force. Same air deflecting principle. It also can help cool brakes as the (hot) air trapped in the high air pressure zone of the wheel house can escape if a low air pressure area can be created instead.

Interesting, I thought about exiting air from the radiator but figured the vents were too close to the nose of the car and that it would be too sharp of an angle. After seeing this image I guess it's true. It's hard to see but it does appear that the air from the radiator is being directed out the side vents.

wing-saleen-01a.jpg

Even so, I thought it was a strange place to locate the outlet. I need to see more of these cars in person to get a feel for their scale I guess. Good explanation Mesa.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
If you look at the Ferrari and Koenigsegg, they look very much like outlets, not inlets. I think that there are multiple effects in play here making it very much a 'package' design. First, venting radiator exhaust air, second brake cooling, third preventing high pressure build up to assist downforce, fourth shielding the front wheel from the direct approach of air such as in an open wheeled car. I think that is is very much a clever packaging of requirements to achieve what is absolutely necessary (e.g radiator cooling) without detriment to, and where possible improvement to other important features such as downforce. If we were able to look at each of these cars in detail, and drill down to understand how each one works, there would be some similarities in their approach, but significant differences too. My guess is that the design approach would range from a simplistic 'lets have some slots to let the air out' to a more ambitious 'let's spend some time analysing how we can do this to optimise brake cooling and downforce'.

Back