Rattlesnake...

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
So I'm going out to the barn last Thursday afternoon to get food for our animals (rabbits, horses, emu) and as I open the door to the barn itself, I hear the tell tale rattle of a rattlesnake. Oh hell... Something's been telling me I needed to take my pistol out to the barn with me lately. Well, a .40 S&W doesn't have the spread I'd like to deal with a poisonous snake that will bite and kill me. I went back inside and grabbed my 12 gauge shotgun (thanks for the wedding present Nick) and went hunting. He was hiding up under a pallet which was covered with junk and some feed sacks. I had to tear away the feed sacks with a pole and there he was... Great big bastard. I stuck the shotgun in there and *BOOM*! He moved and I didn't touch him. So I do some more digging and find him back curled up under the pallet again. This time I stick the barrel of the shotgun up in his face, he strikes at it and *BOOM*! No more head. Here's the video of the remains and the size of this bugger...

YouTube - Rattlesnake!!

If you don't like seeing a snake cut in half by a shotgun, don't click that link. LOL Upon further investigation and removal of the left over shedded skin, that thing actually had 7 rattles and a button. I make lots of noise going into the barn now.

Laters,

Brian

Brian, a .22 with snake shot is sometimes handy in those parts...
BUT, I know you want to be sure of the KILL!

Brian Hamilton

My first want was a .410. I don't have that or any Rat shot and wasn't about to head 20 minutes to friggin Walmart to get some. The 12 gauge worked fine. LOL

It's hell living in the middle of nowhere Texas...

Brian Hamilton

Yeah, but you wasted all that good meat!

True, rattlesnake is some goooooooooood eatin'!! I was thinking about that after I saw the wadding from the shell drop out of it's body. LOL I said to myself, "Shit, there goes dinner". LOL

Brian Hamilton

Dude, it is good stuff. Had some at the Rattlesnake Round-Up in Austin a few years back. They had it Cajun Fried. Battered and fried in a cajun batter. Oh man, talk about good food. That and those big shaved fries where they take a potato and just turn it on a blade to make this enormous curly fry. GAWD, making me hungry...

Brian,
Your solution to your snake problem is tha same as mine. I'll never forget trying to kill one that was over six feet in length with a colt 45. I nicked him twice from about 15 feet (no closer since a six footer can strike about 10 feet easily) and only pissed him off. He finally turned and headed under the hunting cabin. A friend of mine who is a dead shot killed him when I grabbed his tail and slung him out of there.

As for eating him, the bastards stink so much, I didn't have the stomach for gutting and skinning. The smell is something most people never talk about, but Diamond-backs have a very distinct odor-dead or alive.

Garry

Brian Hamilton

If you don't mind lads I'll stick with a good old piece of cow!:sick:

That's my meat of preference, but damnit you have to at least try it. Can't come to Texas and not eat Rattlesnake. Same as you can't go to Louisiana and not eat Gator. THAT is some good stuff there too!!!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
That's my meat of preference, but damnit you have to at least try it. Can't come to Texas and not eat Rattlesnake. Same as you can't go to Louisiana and not eat Gator. THAT is some good stuff there too!!!

Well I've eaten crocodile and kangaroo both of which are pretty good..
So next time I'm in Texas I'll give the rattler a try..

Last I heard, rattlesnake meat was going for around $30 per pound. I think it's taste is reminiscent of roasted pheasant.
Some really good rattlesnake chili recipes out there too.

Confess I'm a beef & potatoes kinda guy..

That's hilarious Brian. I flippin' hate snakes. I would have probably shot him 3 or 4 times. ...Just to make sure.

Hey Chad,

I am with your hate snakes.

One Saturday afternoon about to settle down watch some TV when I noticed what at first glance is a black power cord along the base of the wall unit. Then I realise thats no power cord it moves, bloody hell its a snake. So I yell for my partner Clare, who tells me to go to the kitchen and get a knife. So off I go quick step and I return the the lounge room and Clare says "you know what to do" Brave me uses the knife and flicks the snake onto a tiled area. Clare says "why did you do that" my reply "so you can kill it more easily without making a mess of the carpet". Clare says "thanks mate now you have made it angry" but she did kill it with the knife, I sure wasn't up to it.

We also had another black snake in our bedroom now that really freaked me out, luckily Clare killed that one with a knitting needle,

The joys of living in the country in Australia.

Planning to head over to Texas in October I sure hope I am not expected by my host to eat rattle snake, like Pete I prefer beef or lamb.

Andrew

Back