RCR "Gulf style" flares needed?

I built a GTD40 in England back in 88-93 ish (it's a long time ago!) and I'm hankering after an RCR40 now, so I've started planning.

Back then, I built custom 3-piece wheels using a custom billet center and bolt-on rims so I have no idea what width I ended up at - but I used a Bridgestone 335x35x17 tire which worked great. I honestly don't know if GTD were "normal" or "Gulf-style" bodywork - although I assume this is normal? Can someone confirm? I don't think I've seen Gulf-style in person.

image0000127A.jpg

I'd like to go similar again, wth RCR, so a 335 or 345, 17" tire. Any ideas if their normal body will work, or do I need to upgrade to Gulf?

image0000115A.jpg

P.S. All I had to do to make these fit was grind off the return lip of the bodywork, and be very precise with the wheel offset :D

hello James, i remember your car from my GTD days. i worked in the bodyshop 90-95. the rear is the std clip that GTD produced. not sure how wide the RCR rear is but the GTD rear is 72 inches. hope this helps.

The Gulf arches are much bigger and include sill flares. I made my own back in the late 80s and sold a few sets to GTD owners and others but don`t do them anymore. I did two types of sill flares, Gulf and/or matched to arch shape. I don`t know which is currently available. My car measured 6ft 3ins across the rear tyres and the arches were wider obviously. Have fun, cheers.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, I’ve got two mk1 wide arched rear clams, wide 78in fits 295/50/15 on 10 or 12 in, and extra wide gulf 80in across which would need 14in rims.
Depending in inset of rims.
Good luck:)

Morten

Rcr40 is sold standard with narrow rear. They offer +2 and +4 fender options. Guys that are running the Avon 295 rear tires run the +2 and “gulf” is +4.

hello James, i remember your car from my GTD days. i worked in the bodyshop 90-95. the rear is the std clip that GTD produced. not sure how wide the RCR rear is but the GTD rear is 72 inches. hope this helps.

Hey Lee! Good to hear from you. Great to find a place where so many old GTD people are still around. I've tried to find Andy and crew over the years but never managed it. We had some good times :D

Everyone else, thanks for the confirmation. I'm talking to Fran and googling pics of the 3 options to try and figure out how to fit max tire under there. Seems pretty amazing that 335's fit under a narrow 72" body - but I do remember the rim was only a "fag paper" away from the upright. (That's a couple mm for those not recognizing the cigarette rollup paper reference!)

hello James, i'm still in the GT40 replica bodywork game. i build for Southern GT over here in the UK. i'm based just up the road from the old GTD workshop in Dorset. i still have contact with Mike Christopher and James Pearce from the main workshop. not seen or heard from Andy for years. and yes, working for GTD back then are still some of the of times :cool: good luck with your project.

Back