RCR guys - show us your chassis

I was quoted between $1000-$1200 for the same at a commercial company here
that takes large projects for the space program. They have a huge oven!

Decided to go the polish & Rust Bullet route. Not disappointed and the Rust Bullet is repairable if damages (can't take it off with a screwdriver though). Try that with linex, etc.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jason,

I had to pay the $1000 in advance. So I traded parts and labor for that money. (Long story) It was to prep and powder-coat the chassis as well as to powdercoat the roll cage. Since he was a friend of the bodyshop I was dealing with - I guess I trusted him too.. Hind sight being 20/20, I can clearly see that I was taken to the cleaners..

I do have a blasting cabinet and can used soda to get the billet components cleaned up. Some of them have epoxy resin drooled all over them from when the hips were first put on..
I am just done working with shops at this point... If I can't do the work myself, It will not get done... I may be interested in learning how to anodize my own parts..
I'm really not afraid to do anything - it will just take me a little longer to get it done..

Just wait until it gets painted! Biggest question now is Brush or Roller! LOL. :D

J/K....

Hi Randy
One possibility is alodine treating the suspension components, you need to find a local aircraft repair station that has alodine tanks for treating aluminum, If done correctly you have a deep gold finish, that is corrosion resistant for about 25 hours in a salt spray environment.
I would recommend NOT doing this your self because the Alodine had very toxic levels of Chromium and is something you cannot dispose of via your local waste water, you will poison the environment. Also keep in mind the zinc chromate primmer is not the most environmentally friendly thing to deal with also.

Whatever you do you need to think of the cnc machined components differently to the sheet/plate material in the chassis.

The chassis being sheet material and depending on the grade of alloy used might have an alclad coating ( pure aluminium ), although this would be degraded adjacent to the weld areas. The machined suspension parts will be 'bare' material without any protection.

Back