RCR40 - Help with dash fit and placement - AC vents

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Hi all,

I'm at the point of assembly where I'm beginning to drill out the openings in my dash and I started with the holes for the AC vents. However after cutting them out and placing the dash back on the car it looks to me that my dash is sitting too high. The top of the hole sits about 1" above the top of the chassis. I'm also including a side shot of the dash as it is fitted to the chassis to show its height against the chassis.

Any assistance in understanding what is needed to make this fit (and how the AC from the plenum is supposed to be mated to the AC vent that goes into that hole) would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to trim the bottom of the sides of the dash to get it to fit lower on the chassis or is it in the correct position?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Chet
IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

Phil G

Supporter
Chet
I had the same issue and not much I could do about it except to squeeze the hose in as best I could. It was the only solution I could come up with other than major modifications.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I took a piece of aluminum pipe and welded a homemade washer to it. RTV-ed it in place and attached my AC hose to the bottom. It has been a long time since I installed mine. But I think I remember a fiberglass duct under the dash. I had to cut some off the ends and re-glass them. I have pictures of the end of the duct but not a full picture.
duct for AC.JPG
AC duct.jpg

Don't know if you have a LHD or RHD car which makes the dash design a bit different but in my LHD the dash sat much lower. There is a dance that happens between the vent manifold, spider, dash, and doors. Make sure the spider position has been properly vetted before fully investing the dash. Also do you want the dash removable with a roll cage? The vent manifold (at least for LHD) needs to be cut in length. I sectioned mine on both ends in the areas below.

1644756662809.png

Here is a picture I took of P1067 being restored at Canepa. You can see for reference the original dash sits relatively low on the chassis.

1644757339817.png

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Chet
I had the same issue and not much I could do about it except to squeeze the hose in as best I could. It was the only solution I could come up with other than major modifications.
Phil - would you have any pictures showing the inside of that A/C vent hole that I could compare with mine? Also would you be able to measure the height of the top point of your dash from the bottom where it meets the chassis?

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Chet

Phil G

Supporter
Not sure if these help. I did shorten the bottom of the dash leg where it meets the chassis. It measures 13 1/2".

Back