RCR917 Teaser Pics....

Raising some interest...

Attachments

• Bild10.jpg
    Bild10.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 878
Enjoying the twisty country roads in the Black Forest, surrounded by 911`s...

Attachments

• Bild5.jpg
    Bild5.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 821
On a side note, also famous conductor and Porsche fanatic Herbert von Karajan, who owned a GT40 MK III, wanted Porsche 917 K for the road.
His wish was turned down by the factory, mainly because it was regarded as too dangerous in the light of his driving skills.
Years later, Porsche was proven right, when Karajan came round to collect his brand new Porsche 959. He made it only a few hundred metres with the car before he crashed the Porsche into a ditch...

Attachments

• karajan_auto_800.jpg
    karajan_auto_800.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 707
  • Karajan_GT40.jpg
    Karajan_GT40.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 764
Marcus.

What a fantastic twist to this thread. Absoloutely love the pictures and the anecdote. I have got some pictures of the Count Rossi 917 at home, i will be looking for these tonight and rewatching my DVD on the gulf Wyer GT40's and 917's again!

A 917 would undoubtedly be a liabity on the road... everyone else would crash in shock!

Miles

Miles,

absolutely, Porsche was really concerned about court cases and, above all,
bad publicity.

Below are some more pics of the white 917.
Car was build by factory mechanics around a spare tube frame and a spare
turbocharged can am engine. This particular car had 600 HP and was later sold to the US. It was geared to go from nought to 120 miles in 8 seconds.
Can you imagine maintaining such a car in your garden shed???

Also, see a pic of a LMK 917, road registered, at a Porsche Club meeting in Braunschweig this year.

Attachments

• Bild11.jpg
    Bild11.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 813
  • Bild14.jpg
    Bild14.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 721
  • Bild15.jpg
    Bild15.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 787
  • Bild16.jpg
    Bild16.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 780
  • Bild17.jpg
    Bild17.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 779
  • Bild18.jpg
    Bild18.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 740
  • Bild19.jpg
    Bild19.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 728
  • bernde3.jpg
    bernde3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 770

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
I have often wondered what a 917 would look like on surface streets rather than the race track ... thanks for sharing the pictures!

A GT40 looks more "at-home" on surface streets; probably because the width of the cabin is more car-like?

The "Conte Martini" 917k is still in Italy in very very secure hands...
The car was prepared by factory, but with HUGE modification to be road usable.
Have a very nice article on italian porsche magazine about that vehicle...but is all writed in italian:)

The last gulf 917 should be 99% the Kraftwerktz australian replica, same car number and same german modern plate....(Fran in the other post I asked u an opinion about that replica)

News

The need list has also me inisde:)

Paolo

Last edited:
Out of interest, what is maximum width of the 917, thinking of trailer widths needed to move one in the UK. (Like the chassis Fran, great stuff )

Just an aside - a friend of mine's Uncle has one of the original ex-JW Automotive/ Gulf 917s (the ex-Pedro Rodriguez, ex-John Piper/ Stoic Racing car) which is totally unmolested, and has not been raced since period. Apart from a few Porsche Club GB test days and a couple of Goodwood Festival of Speed runs, it has run very little since 1971.

When Vanessa got married (to French semi-pro racer/ journalist Flavien Marcais), the car was offered to them by her Uncle to get them from the church to the reception, about 10 miles from the church in the heart of Normandy. We were treated to the slightly surreal (but delightful) sight of an unsilenced Gulf 917 on the road, on UK trade plates, covered in rose petals and shaving foam reading "Just Married", with a 10 foot long train of coke/ beer cans trailing behind it and a very pretty girl in a huge wedding dress squeezed into the passenger "seat"! Can't really see it happening in the UK can you? Am sure PC Plod would have something to say about it....

We were all asked to turn up in old cars wherever possible, but I think you will agree it is impossible to match a 917. It's not very often that someone in a Cobra, Ferrari 250SWB or Bizzarrini GT Stradale is upstaged at a wedding. Sadly, I was in a Ford Galaxy People Carrier, but we had the windows down the whole way to make the most of the noise....

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Can't wait until Fran unveils the monocoque version! It'll probably be a while though, as busy as he is. I saw the 917 tube chassis at his shop when I went to visit though, talk about a work of art!!!

Last edited:
Back