Re White Paper on engine:what's the real story?

Re White Paper on engine:what\'s the real story?

Not being an engineer, the white paper was mostly gobbledgook to me but here's few questions I never got answers to:

--what couldn't they have cast up the aluminum block 5.4 engine they used awhile back in the Mustang Cobra SVT?

--Does the V-10 in the Cobra roadster concept really
got a lower c.g. than the Ford GT engine and weigh less?

--What is the c.g. of the new Ford GT?

--If the electronic speed limiter were taken off, what is the real top speed?

--Who has a list of changes that were made to the car for the EU market (I can guess turn signal lens colors; Kph speedo markings, foglamp changes, what else?)

--Anybody got a breakdown on how many GTs each country gets the first year
(UK is 28; that much I know)

--Is there an owner's club yet? There seems to be a website for owners but it is sparsley populated

--Are the mechanics that build the engine still signing the engine placque (or is that what grows on your teeth?) I saw it in a Brit magazine that complained they only signed their first names.

--Am I crazy to think that $5000 is a wee bit high to paint two stripes nose to tail? I think I painted my whole Ferrari for that.

--Have all 15 mules used for testing been destroyed so employees won't take them home and get hurt playing with them?

--Can anybody estimate how much it would cost to take the plastic body exterior panels and make those in aluminum so the whole car could be polished like the show car XJ6?

--Would a Lincoln Mercury version with a different body sell?

--Am I being being too obsessive-compulsive if I point out that on a Ford website that contains a year by year history of the original Ford GTs, that they have mis-labeled a good many of the racing pictures?

Any opinions appreciated. [email protected]

Any comments appreciated. [email protected]

Re: Re White Paper on engine:what\'s the real story?

I think the 2000 Cobra R model used an iron block.

If you read this:

http://www.autoweek.com/docs/fordracinginfo_03cobra.doc

You can see what a 4.6 can do with GT heads and a 14lb twin screw.

The GT has slightly less boost, 12lbs, but it has 5.4 liters. My guess is that the 550hp rating is highly under-rated.

With all of that power, a new block seems like a good idea.

One thing about the 5.4 is that it has a very tall deck height, long rods and a long stroke. The V10 has a much shorter deck height, rods and stroke, so that probably offsets the additional weight of the crank, two rods, two pistons and longer block.

A V10 is unusual and looks pretty good compared to a 5.4, but what we really need is a big bore short stroke V8 with a low deck. That would make just as much power as the V10, it would be smaller and lighter and it won't sound like a 5 cylinder Audi.

$5,000 is high for paint stripes, but $150,000 sticker is rediculously low for a legitimate 200mph supercar.

All of the GT mules that survived testing are probably resting comfortably or on the car show circuit. After seeing the asking price of a real origional Ford GT40, I'm sure no one is considering crushing them, my best guess is that they are all museum bound.

A Mercury would not work because Ford has enough trouble filling the GT orders. It might sell, but it's not going to happen.

Yes, you are obsessive-compulsive.

Back