Rear view Camera

I am looking in to this one looks pretty good well built offers a variety of cameras, anyone out there use this system? its not cheap but it seems like a good set up.

The problem with most of the back-up, or reversing, camera systems is that they have too wide of an angle to be very useful as a rear view camera intended to replace a conventional mirror. You really need a relatively narrow angle or else you will see too much distortion and not be able to judge distances well (unless they are very close).

Once one or more cameras are setup, they need to feed a monitor.

I am using a monitor that is shaped sort of like a conventional rear-view mirror, and has input for 3 simultaneous inputs. This permits a view of the rear, and both sides, all at the same time, and in the same panel. See the details at Savv LBM-5400 10.2" Wide Screen Rear View Mirror Multi Monitor

I plan to install the factory side mirrors for compliance. They look pretty good as a backup, but I plan to rely on the cameras for actually driving.

Bringing this back up to the top. Our plan is to use the mirrors on the SLC for side views but to add a camera dedicated to the rear view. Pondering the right coverage and we're wondering if for this purpose that narrower is better than superwide.

I have my camera system doing test duty in my Audi right now. Rigged it up so I can rate the performance of the components before imbedding them into the interior design of the SLC. I am pretty critical so anything less than the performance of an actual rear view mirror means its less that perfect. Already installed on the car are two smallish convex mirrors on the A posts, the camera will be used for direct behind duty. First thing I noticed about the mirrors on the SLC is that, if optimally placed center rear coverage of the car isn't too bad. But you wont be able to see much in the CENTER directly behind the car for about 5-10 feet or so. Backing up is where a camera will come in handy (if not imperative).

Well I started with an EBAY wide screen (11 x 4) rear view camera setup as the purveyor touted it as way better performing than the other stuff available. 225 dollars later and I found that the rear view camera was inadequate as the color bleed was noticeable and the resolution was not what I expected. Trying to size up the performance of these things via a telephone call is rather tough. I think this guy truly believes he is offering a good value option, problem is - it's like trying to judge the quality of a paint job solely from a picture. Damn near impossible.

Read on if you are considering using a camera as a supplemental rear view or the sole rear view while underway.

I have since bought a higher resolution forward facing camera which I will imbed in the left headlight nacelle. This will be used when pulling out of parking lots that have limited line of sight. This camera is much better than the one that came with the 'kit' and although it is not perfect it is 'adequate'. I am using this camera as the basis for judging if the mirror image version camera from the same company is a worthy replacement. The plan is to use the rear camera most of the time when the car is underway, that said it may be found that I'll get comfortable enough with the mirrors alone that I will eventually not even use it. We shall see.

Oddly enough in actual testing in the Audi I found the performance at night and at dusk very good from a what you can see in the monitor and the clarity of same view point. Although as ambient light diminished the glare from the following cars became a problem. Eventually whereas normally one would see distinct separate headlights in a rear view, with this camera one would see a giant glowing blob behind them. I think one should seriously consider a polarized lens to counter this.

In daytime driving I found the limited resolution of the screen was more apparent, the color was not as true and the lack of clarity was apparent due to the fact there were more identifiable things to see during the day as opposed to night. Also the horizontal lines in the screen started to become visible whereas at night and at dusk they could not be seen. Also the glare when driving away from a rising sun would again make a polarized lens helpful.

Now this is a pretty critical analysis using what one can see out of a rear view mirror as the control. So take it for what it is.

Last edited:
If you guys look back through the post you will get some good information. Stick to the TFT LCD screens and ccd cameras. You won't go wrong. Stick to the smallest field of view you can get 90 degrees is the best. Most of the ones out there are 120 and larger. With those the objects are very small and fish eye is present. Gt at least a 7" monitor(16:9) for most natural look.
Be careful where you mount the camera. If on the tag then you won't see much if you use it all the time. You will see a lot of bumpers and that is about it. I have one of the $99 specials on my truck(probably $40 on Ebay). For backing up and hooking up my trailer it is great, but useless for constant use. Color clarity is great. For a tiny monitor it is great as well as it shows me what I want to see.

Bill

In the SLC picture thread I noticed a car with a svelte looking roof mounted camera. See attached picture. I like this look but haven't seen/found anything close while web searching. Anybody else.....

Attachments

• Superlite_SLC_rear camera - roof.jpg
    Superlite_SLC_rear camera - roof.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 354
That looks to me like a standard rear view camera mounted in a third brake light housing.......but I could be wrong :)

Have you looked into using AMOLED systems?

What is AMOLED?

from What is AMOLED?
AMOLED means "Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode"

Active matrix (AM) OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer – or substrate – that contains circuitry. The pixels are defined by the deposition of the organic material in a continuous, discrete “dot” pattern. Each pixel is activated directly: A corresponding circuit delivers voltage to the cathode and anode materials, stimulating the middle organic layer. AM OLED pixels turn on and off more than three times faster than the speed of conventional motion picture film – making these displays ideal for fluid, full-motion video.
Author:Erich Strasser owner from Oled-Display.net
Audi already uses active matrix light-emitting diodes to make their rear view mirrors in their R18's:

Planetlemans.com | Audi R18 look into the future with a digital rear-view mirror

24 Hours of Le Mans
Audi R18 look into the future with a digital rear-view mirror
By Team Update ⋅ May 24, 2012

When the Audi factory drivers tackle the Le Mans 24 Hours (June 16/17, 2012) a very special technology will enhance their vision. Used for the first time in a closed LMP sports prototype, the digital rear-view mirror provides a clear view of the rear and thus substantially improves active safety.

“The work of our drivers in the cockpit is truly heavy labor,” says Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich in praise of his line-up of 13 sports car drivers. Aside from the physical and mental strain in endurance racing, life for the quick racers compared with their DTM colleagues is made more difficult by the special aspect of totally different vision. The extremely low, central seating position is just one reason for this. Another one is the fact that – unlike the Audi A5 DTM – none of the closed LMP sports cars have a rear window.

The concept and structure of the monocoque plus the configuration of the mid-engine in the Audi R18 leave no room for a rear window. “So, in the past, our drivers had to strictly rely on the outside mirrors when looking rearward,” explains Dr. Ullrich. “Yet the rear end and the rear wings plus the vibrations that occur at high speeds significantly limit the field of vision of these mirrors.” Audi has developed a solution, which thanks to advanced technology produces an amazing effect. The digital rear-view mirror that shows what is happening behind the car on an innovative AMOLED display is better than any conventional mirror.

A camera of very light weight and dimensions of just a few millimeters sits behind the antennas on the roof of the Audi R18. It captures the action at the rear on film and transmits the information to the cockpit as digitalized data. The racing situation behind the vehicle is shown on a screen that sits in the place where an inside mirror is typically located.

470_2012_WEC_audi_motorsport_mirror02.jpg

“This gives us a whole host of benefits,” stresses Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. “The operation of the mirror is weather-neutral. By contrast, when using outside mirrors, heavy water spray severely impairs the driver’s field of vision when it rains. For the new digital mirror, we worked out various day and night driving modes. Even when a rival approaches from the rear with high-beam headlights the image is superb and not just a glaring light spot.”

470_2012_WEC_audi_motorsport_mirror01.jpg

This has only been made possible by the latest diode technology. Instead of conventional light-emitting diodes, Audi uses an Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode (AMOLED) display. Its name has been derived from organic semiconductors. Their major advantage: Like displays, AMOLED screens can show multi-colored images and offer better resolution thanks to particularly small pixels with diameters of merely around 0.1 millimeters. Outstanding image quality and short response time are further positive properties of AMOLEDs.

“Therefore, even at 330 km/h we’re achieving a totally fluid image flow in real-time transmission,” says a pleased Dr. Ullrich. At this speed, the Audi R18 covers a distance of 92 meters within a single second.

As these new types of screens are freely programmable, Audi uses them to display other data as well. Information on the gear that is currently engaged, the slip level of the tires, and specific warning lights have been integrated into the central instrument.
Here is a video showing what AMOLED technology can do:

What is Super-Amoled-Plus? Samsung Galaxy-S2 - YouTube

Back