rear view Camera

Just a bump up to see if there are any new options out there anyone has found?
I'm about to the point of choosing a rear view camera and display.

I have 2 cameras planned - one mounted in the license plate frame tied to my android receiver head unit which will turn on when in reverse so that I can see directly behind and close to the vehicle. The android unit includes Torque Pro app for display of all the GM provided engine data. The other camera will be mounted on the top of the car in a custom made housing paired to the GENTEX Full Display Mirror unit - the mirror/display I have mounted to the roll bar.
I'll post some pictures once I get the whole thing pulled together.

Collin,
I'd be interested in your opinion of that unit. It looks promising, but the one review I saw was not very complimentary.

Michael Fling

Supporter
[email protected]. These work great.

SKU23912
170° Bumper Backup Camera (Hi-Res) 1 $109.99 $109.99
SKU59732
120° Bumper Backup Camera (Standard) 1 $69.99 $69.99
SKU5756819
Wireless Front Facing Car or RV Camera 2 $179.99 $359.98
SKU34288
7-Inch Split Screen Monitor for up to 4 Backup Cameras 1 $219.99 $219.99
SKU89172
Free Cigarette Lighter Adapter 1 $0.00 $0.00
Make 120 camera HD 1 $49.99 $49.99
Grid lines to 170 camera 1 $29.99 $29.99
Subtotal : $839.93
Discount : $0.00
Shipping : $25.14
Tax : $0.00
Grand Total : $865.07

I went with a Boyo VTL425HDL license plate camera, feeding the video into my smartphone using an S-Cam video to smartphone USB adapter, similar to this one: Brandmotion 9002-2800 Android Smartphone Backup Camera Interface Kit Rearview | eBay

The phone is magnetically mounted to the center console and also supplies music to the bluetooth stereo.

The setup works OK, other than that you have to plug and unplug the phone every time you get into the car and while the phone is working as a monitor, it's not very useful for anything else.

Also, the backup camera is somewhat wide angle, which makes it challenging to use for determining whether anyone is right behind you; you have to look very closely at what can be a small image on the screen. A less wide angle lens would make the cars behind appear a little larger.

Jim Glickenhaus has a nice setup with his cameras substituting for rear-view mirrors. The image is below. Mr. Glickenhaus is a manufacturer and is on this forum: you could ask him about it! :)

scuderia-cameron-glickenhaus-scg003-interior.jpg

As long as we are looking at options, I took my Alpine ILX 007 radios built in backup camera feature and attached it to a instrument panel switch to give me a rear view picture at will. At 10 feet to the rear it reveals the corner blind spots for me. There are better dedicated systems, but this was two birds with one stone. Just another approach.

Garmin are introducing a GPS SatNav with a reverse camera option, the screen automatically switches to Camera when reverse lamp comes on.

That's where I'm going.

Tony.

Would you like me to ask Mr. Glickenhaus?

Les - do you have any specs on the cameras or screens, or any images showing what the quality is that Jim’s system offers? The issues with most systems commercially (and affordable) right now are primarily low resolution and poor contrast/brightness. Even OEM solutions are barely adequate for full time real-time side view/rear view monitors/cameras. The image you’ve linked is rendered.

TITLE:
FILENAME:
Page 2 of 2
CREATOR:
DATE:
David Cunliffe
5.5 Inch Rear Vision
Camera.vsd
14/11/2012
5.5" REAR VISION CAMERA SYSTEM
DC ELECTRONICS
Fitting the monitor into the mounting bracket
First remove the insert from the bracket by pushing
down on the locking lever and lifting out the
insert. Loosen the screw on the insert so that the
square nut can be slid into the the channel on
the back of the monitor. Slide the insert to the d
esired position and tighten screw before finally
clipping the insert back into the mounting bracket.
Connecting options
The monitor is capable of displaying images from up
two cameras if desired. Priority of which
camera is displayed is carried out by applying a vo
ltage to either the green or blue wires to switch
the camera view.
The red and black wires should be connected to the
vehicles ignition switched power supply.
A yellow phono plug is provided to allow the video
output to be connected to a video recording
device.
Monitor Specification
Power Supply: 9-36v DC
Video System: PAL/NTSC Auto Switch
Power Consumption: 9 Watts
Resolution: 960 x 234
Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Contrast: 300:1
Viewing Angle: 65 degree up, 45 degree down
Working Temperature: -30 to 70 degrees C

Thanks Denny - it seems most monitors are at 480 lines of horizontal resolution. Not sure if that’s enough to make them “good quality” but more is better?

Back