Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Close up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 416
I for one think the tablet in a 40 is a bit much. I don't want to listen to music when I am driving in it. The exhaust is good enough for me. If so I can add an Ipod nano or similar. I do like the combination units with the Navs. I haven't added a radio yet but the speakers are in. I don't have the side pockets open in mine so finding a spot for it will be a challenge anyway. I guess if you add a console to the dash the big units might work. Just not what I am looking for. As far as the rear view camera I have mine setup, just have to decide on how I am going to approach it. Am working on a new way of doing it and it should be complete in a week or so. The parts are arriving daily.

Bill

I like Will's set up, very nicely done, very clean looking.
I want to leave the air scoop functional so its not an option for my build.
I've read some where that some back up camera's can not be left on or used as a constant use camera as they will burn out ? I guess we will find out lol.
This technology is getting better every month. Another year I am sure want we are looking for will be available everywhere a total integrated touch screen that will give you full array of every option. I've seen HUD back up out there as well, which would be very trick.

I like Will's set up, very nicely done, very clean looking.
I want to leave the air scoop functional so its not an option for my build.

Thanks, Grant!

To clarify, my air scoop is completely functional, and ducts all air to the engine compartment, sealing off the interior so no air or water can get to the interior roof panel (IOW, it's water and air tight even with the interior roof panel off.)

IMO, the key to clearance for a tablet or LCD panel for a rear view camera in that spot is making the duct correctly. My car has one designed by Wayne M, and although I don't think he had a clearance issue in mind, there is actually a fair amount of room there for a panel, even one that extends up into the interior roof panel in a fixed position.

Here's another example of a monitor mounted in a roof panel with the same duct I used, showing another alternative, using a fixed mount:

20150302_164012_zpsouqddmqb.jpg

This monitor doesn't flip up or down, but is recessed in the roof panel, which has the advantage of not affecting forward view.

This is from Stage7's car, which has a great interior, BTW.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Wasn't there someone selling these channels/ducts that get bonded in? I'd buy one.

Was it Jack "Molleur"?

Last edited:
Here's another way I found to have a wired connection to a tablet. However, I've never seen a dedicated reverse camera (as opposed to web camera) with a standard USB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEfu4n1RAu4

Scott,

I was excited to hear about the upgrade to the USBWEBCAM app, so I downloaded it from the Google Playstore and tried it. Unfortunately, the app seems to work differently on my Samsung Tab3 7" tablet. The new options you mention in your Youtube video are not shown when I run the USBWEBCAM app.

See the screen capture from my Samsung Tab3 7" tablet below

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-12-11-33-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-12-11-33-40.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 269
Scott,

I was excited to hear about the upgrade to the USBWEBCAM app, so I downloaded it from the Google Playstore and tried it. Unfortunately, the app seems to work differently on my Samsung Tab3 7" tablet. The new options you mention in your Youtube video are not shown when I run the USBWEBCAM app.

See the screen capture from my Samsung Tab3 7" tablet below

Thats intersting (and sucks). I think the one in the video was a tab4 but you would think the options would still show in the app. I have a tab4 and will download to make sure it's not a 3 vs 4 issue. One of the comments below the video said its was the Pro Version. They may not have carried this over to the free version yet. $3.45 for pro....hopefully you didn't pay AND it wasn't on the app.

Last edited:
Thats intersting (and sucks). I think the one in the video was a tab4 but you would think the options would still show in the app. I have a tab4 and will download to make sure it's not a 3 vs 4 issue. One of the comments below the video said its was the Pro Version. They may not have carried this over to the free version yet. $3.45 for pro....hopefully you didn't pay AND it wasn't on the app.

I just tried the free version...Yea, I'm cheap:laugh:

why stop at 3 cameras.

group buy from google...includes maps

google-street-view-fleet-1343994208.jpg

I confirmed the free version did not have the updates on the tab 4 (or 2) either. So maybe just on pro. I'm not there yet to make a purchase (I'm cheap too).

Last edited:
From what I have found so far the Parrot Tablet seems to be the way to go ?
it has a back up camera, Bluetooth, music, GPS etc...and will fit into the dash and is only $300.00 unless something better comes up at Sema next month?

Last edited:
I see what you mean about the Tegra, that is Awesome. It would a nice finishing touch.

If you get a chance watch the CES conference video where Huang talks about the chip and the drive cx px. Cool stuff. Pretty sure all the coming new high end models like Tesla, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes have a tegra based infotainment/nav system. But anything standalone is sure to be unobtanium at this point. By the time I finish my car it will probably be standard.

What's interesting is the tk1 development kit is available for for $192. There's a special PRO kit for automotive and that comes with camera functionality touchscreen etc. I wonder how much the dev kit comes with software wise and how much would be required to be further developed for basic use (no self driving crash avoidance etc needed here). I'm not a software developer and clueless but I imagine this is beyond tinkering without serious know how. Would be fun to have though.

Dev kit TK-1 pro

Last edited:
Back