Removable doors

Right time for another obscure thread.

My garage is tight shall we say (door is 210cm wide and widest point is probably only another 10cm each side.

This basically means that I will categorically not be able to get in and out of the car whilst in the garage.

I have seen removable door top conversions that Tornado did but have anyone ever designed a fast removable door system? Like you’d use in a race car with something like a pin system? This means I could ‘quickly’ remove the door outside the garage, drive in and out with the door off and reattach when taking it out. Naturally this would have to be a setup that doesn’t allow any position change of the hinges for alignment etc.

Intrigued to see if anyone has done something like this.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
A few possibilities spring to mind.
1) create a hatch in the wall at the side of the garage that when open will allow you to open the car door.
2) I used to have the same problem single garage at the end of a shared drive, I took the drivers window out by undoing screws, reached through window and Pushed and steered the car in then refitted the window. (They push really easily) I got it down to about 5 minutes to remove the window when caught in a shower of rain when arriving home!
3) Fit front and rear tow eyes and a winch to drag the car in and out the garage. Done by Paul Brameld!

or move into a small house with a big garage

A few possibilities spring to mind.
1) create a hatch in the wall at the side of the garage that when open will allow you to open the car door.
2) I used to have the same problem single garage at the end of a shared drive, I took the drivers window out by undoing screws, reached through window and Pushed and steered the car in then refitted the window. (They push really easily) I got it down to about 5 minutes to remove the window when caught in a shower of rain when arriving home!
3) Fit front and rear tow eyes and a winch to drag the car in and out the garage. Done by Paul Brameld!

or move into a small house with a big garage

Hatch isn’t possible unfortunately - is a brick garage attached to the house.
The window is an option, it has crossed my mind but thought I’d see whether there were any better ones out there.

Well I am actually storing it at the families house as I live abroad. The plan was to buy a property for my sister to rent from me but unfortunately she want to live near London so absolutely no chance of me affording it or it having a garage haha.

Winch I’d rather avoid where possible.

I do like the removable roof panels to be honest that Tornado offer. If they still offer them anyway.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

I have the same problem with my trailer. It has a winch with synthetic rope and a remote control. Works great and there are zero concerns hitting anything because you can walk around the car to make sure everything is fine. You can also let the car cool before you put the cover on. The only challenge might be getting the car out of the garage. With the trailer I just give the jack a couple of cranks so that there is a slight backward tilt and let gravity pull the car with the winch limiting how fast it moves. In my area, the building code requires garage floors to have a minimum slope towards the door so if my car will roll out if the parking brake isn't on and it isn't in gear. If your floor is flat you could build or buy a shallow ramp for the front wheels... I think a few inches would be enough. If you can't reach the parking brake, just chock the wheels.

Chris,

I have the same problem with my trailer. It has a winch with synthetic rope and a remote control. Works great and there are zero concerns hitting anything because you can walk around the car to make sure everything is fine. You can also let the car cool before you put the cover on. The only challenge might be getting the car out of the garage. With the trailer I just give the jack a couple of cranks so that there is a slight backward tilt and let gravity pull the car with the winch limiting how fast it moves. In my area, the building code requires garage floors to have a minimum slope towards the door so if my car will roll out if the parking brake isn't on and it isn't in gear. If your floor is flat you could build or buy a shallow ramp for the front wheels... I think a few inches would be enough. If you can't reach the parking brake, just chock the wheels.

It’s flat ish - I can’t remember which way the slight slope is. Has been so long since I stored a car in there. Chocking and pushing had crossed my mind could be tricky though and sounds like far too much work ;)

Last edited:
Back