Renault trans axle

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hardly any Renault transaxle will handle that sort of power, but that said may claim big hp, and in reality its only a fraction of whats being claimed.
A good uprated UN1-13 with all the good bits might handle 500hp, but then you're on the edge. Even ZF's will be on the limit with 500 hp.

What's the engine, spec, torque?

kind regards
morten

Thanks for the replies. Some info has been provided to me today. The transaxle is a R21 from a lotus turbo V8, not familiar with those. The engine is a 351w based 408 stroker with 8 stack EFI. Dyno sheet says 560 HP with 525 lb/ft torque. Car has 3500 miles, really nice 40.

The transaxle is a R21 from a lotus turbo V8,
Well that Lotus engine (3.5 flat plane crank V8 twin Garrett T25 turbo) was developed as a 500bhp engine. Lotus had to detune that engine down to 350BHP / 300lbft as the Renault gearbox couldn't cope with anything more. It was on the edge and probably over it allready.
Not even a Quaiffe ATB diff in your Renault transaxle will get you near your demand.

Ok I'm no expert but my 347 stroker was putting out 525 with my un1 with the 1 piece input shaft and it's been in the car now for 8 years with no issues. I don't own it anymore but I drove it hard and had no problems!! So take that for what it's worth !!!

No matter how much power you have, the torque through the transmission is limited by the tire traction. On street tires you might spin them before you have a dangerous amount of torque. New slicks on a hot track might push the limits. Perhaps some of the folks Like Bob above that have more experience might comment. I asked that exact question of GTO Racing who actually built my UN1 with a single shaft, close ratio gears, and a Quaife differential with 500 horsepower. He said as long as you don't do a clutch drop you will be ok. I don't know about stock transmissions.

Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

Ok I'm no expert but my 347 stroker was putting out 525 with my un1 with the 1 piece input shaft and it's been in the car now for 8 years with no issues. I don't own it anymore but I drove it hard and had no problems!! So take that for what it's worth !!!
That is good to hear! I have just upgraded my UN1 with the GTO Race Engineering goodie package! One piece shaft, 1st-2nd, Quaife LSD. After I destroyed the pilot bearing, and damaged the original 2 piece shaft collet from dumping the clutch and doing donuts in my back parking lot. Oops! I guess hot Pilot 335s and a clutch dump or two can hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_223552_299.jpg
    IMG_20200904_223552_299.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20200828_213307_768.jpg
    IMG_20200828_213307_768.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 282
Ken
Nothing is indestructible!! And remember these cars are track racing machines not drag cars ! Totally different set ups !!!! Just saying

Back