Replicas of Grand Prix Cars - Pre war and 50s?

Ron Earp

Admin
Does anyone make replicas of GP cars from the war era or 50s? These things are beautiful, with really cool motors that would be hard to replicate, but are just awesome looking machines. The real deal would simply be too valuable to own or seriously thrash on a vintage event, at least for my budget. If someone doesn't make them, they should. Fran, you have some spare time, whip one up for me! Or better yet, whip up a XJ13 chassis for Rich so I can build on of those.

R

Hi Ron,
According to Top Gear someone in the UK has just started producing a "replica" of the Vanwall!
BUT is has a Jaguar engine and running gear.
Not sure if this is what you were thinking about?
Cheers

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Ron that is pretty much what I am working on at the moment, except that I had to make it with two seats and doors, I have always had the desire to make a single seat car for the road but lacked the courage. Iwill have some more pics on my website soon which will show the completed chassis and the body style with cycle gaurds. avalook www.copycatcars.com

Ron Earp

Admin
Good ideas, all of them! I would like an accurate single seat replica though, especially of those Alfas from the WWII period. Blown straight eight, man, those really sounded cool on the Victory by Design program.

My favorite replicas are the ones you can really "do". That is, you can get all the bits if you like and make it a very accurate replica. The GT40 is perfect for this, obviously, as is the XJ13 - you can a proper engine, gearbox, etc. and do a very good copy that can outperform the original if you'd like.

Some replicas, like the 917, I really like but the one thing that prevents me from being seriously attracted to them is that flat 12 motor that is almost unattainable. Best I can figure would be to join two flat sixes, and that would cost a fortune. I like the cars, but something is missing.

These Grad Prix racers I speak of would be hard to do for engine. The F cars would be neigh about impossible, but one could use some available straight eights to do an Alfa. It'd be a real shame to stuff a, the horror, Chevy V8 into one of these things like 99% of kit/replica/rods on the streets these days.

I have always believed that the original 1960s F1 Brabham would be a good candidate for a replica given that the engine was based on the Buick/Rover alloy V8 block... and would be relatively simple to reproduce. Or possibly the Lotus F1 car of the same era since I believe the Cosworth V8 (or at least a historic Coswoth V8) can still be bought new. Those F1 cars are my favourite... the quickest "real" cars ever (before they became low flying air craft /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Ron Ask and you shall receive--- a guy in Bendigo Victoria Australia actually makes a flat 12 for those porsche 917 replicas, now there is the beginning of another project, where are you going to find the time????

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Her is a pic of that Vanwall replica

Attachments

• 69660-untitledbvde.jpg
    69660-untitledbvde.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 403

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
[ QUOTE ]
Got any links for that? That is awesome!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did have a magazine article on it somewhere,I will try to find it, but I think the people at Kraftwerks know all about it

Ron....I already have one for you....

These had a V6 Dino engine that makes building something very similar within reach ..or even an Alfa V6 or Alfa 4cylinder.....
I have plans to build one for myself and have a body done and ready to play with in my spare time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I saw the Vanwall at Goodwood and loved it.....the car is large in scale but very very cool....

Attachments

• 69671-Side%20800.jpg
    69671-Side%20800.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 386

Ron Earp

Admin
Dang, that thing look really good Fran. I am sure a V6 with webers could be found that would look the part. As I recall that little joker was a DOHC unit at 65 degrees. So.........have to thing of some suitable V6s. There was the SOHC unit in the GTV6 cars, but the DOHC needs to be had. Did Alfa mass produce some DOHC V6 plants that are obtainable? They have a modern one but that would not be cool.

R

another....fiberglass at the moment but an aluminum one to follow sometime soon...same chap as is making the roof/spider sections for the GT40....
BEAUTIFUL CARS ARE A SICKNESS

Attachments

• 69676-FERRARI_246_001(Small).jpg
    69676-FERRARI_246_001(Small).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 381
I have a feeling that the Denis Bedford D'arby will be a cool car with alot of individual customising potential. ...I look forward to hearing more about it....

Back