Restarting my SLC project in West Texas

Hi everybody.

I am restarting my project after almost a two year hiatus. Had a little health issue that MD Anderson helped me leave behind. So pretty much have been working after my day job until 11 or 12pm every day for the last couple of months. I will post pictures of my progress.

So far:

-Made custom wheel dollies instead of a lift
-Finished front lift kit. (i Figure that was a good start project with an easy end, cutting the stainless braided lines took a while and pulled my hair out)
-Made custom adjustable seats that slide and recline, modified the crap out of them to lower them as much as possible but not sure yet if my head will fit
-Sprayed tub with lizard skin in and out and made an unbelievable mess all around in the garage, even rebuilt my neighbors air compressor that I used.
-Torqued all suspension parts.
-Finished and Installed brake pedal assembly, break and clutch lines, figure out a way to plumb in line traction control unit (which leaked and had to reinstall).
-Pressure tested and installed fuel tank.
-Finished all fuel components and lines, still need to figure out vent valve and canister.
-Installed battery.
-Removed the plugs form the rear vent lines (from the top) what a royal PIA!!!
-Removed exhaust manifolds and sent them for white lightning ceramic coating.
-Started to figure out cooling lines which goes together with heater and A/C systems. Just ordered the electronic heater valve, the dirty dingo compressor bracket.
-I am debating on orderly A/C lines crimping kit,
-I am trying to figure out heater hose sizes and what overflow tanks to use and where to install them, and of course where to locate all the a/c and heater hoses.
-If anybody has a spare fan shroud let me know :)
-Should finally get the infinity box harness system, Never got a harness from the factory after 2 years.

IMG_3912.jpeg
IMG_3912.jpeg
IMG_3912.jpeg
IMG_4045.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4170.jpeg
    IMG_4170.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_4165.jpeg
    IMG_4165.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_4167.jpeg
    IMG_4167.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_4189.jpeg
    IMG_4189.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_4222.jpeg
    IMG_4222.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_4223.jpeg
    IMG_4223.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 647
Here are more picture of my progress so far. Feel free to comment, I have thick skin and I can ignore people easily :)

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_4232.jpeg
    IMG_4232.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_4239.jpeg
    IMG_4239.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_4279.jpeg
    IMG_4279.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_4287.jpeg
    IMG_4287.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 666
Fuel system components in from of traction control unit

Attachments

• IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_4338.jpeg
    IMG_4338.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 747

Joel K

Supporter
Glad to hear your are well and feeling better. Nice work on the car so far, I see you purchased that traction control unit from the company in Nazareth. I’ll be interested to see how it performs.

Glad to hear your are well and feeling better. Nice work on the car so far, I see you purchased that traction control unit from the company in Nazareth. I’ll be interested to see how it performs.
I will let you know. Don't have the computer yet. But it is plumbed in and it does not leak

A few questions for fellow builders:

-What size hoses (and what kind) did you use for the heater lines, LS3 water pump outlets are different sizes.
-I am having a hard time paying $100+ for a coolant catch tank, I can get a dorman plastic tank for $12 at summit, the surge tank is a different story, -I am looking at the canton 80-200 surge tank but don't know what fittings to get, it will depend on what hoses I use.
-Does anybody have a A/C line crimping tool they want to sell or lease?
-Can you guys provide a little guidance on the routing of the heater hoses and A/C lines? pictures and diagrams help. So far Cams set up is the one that I like but I am going to stay on the passenger side for everything and take the lines on the outside next to water and brake lines and I will use the flexible A/C hoses that came with the Vintage Air kit.
Thanks for your help
If you want to talk to me PM me and we can talk or text, also if you want to share your information and don't mind me calling you let me know. So far I have been flying solo with the wiki and posted builds, but I figure your help in real time can be very valuable, I totally could have use a stainless steel brake line flaring tool, just as a quick example.

Why not create a big slot and join all the holes for better air flow? does it become a weak spot or was it just manufacturing convenience?

Attachments

• IMG_4341.jpeg
    IMG_4341.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 719
I should add I visited Howard Jones and got lots of valuable tips and a lot of motivation seeing a completed track monster SLC. The guys garage is pretty cool. Thanks Howard

One more thing, the kid in the pictures is my 15 y/o Miguel . First assist and flexible helper. We are enjoying this project together, he will get a permit soon, and already taught him how to drive a manual tranny.

Joel K

Supporter
Why not create a big slot and join all the holes for better air flow? does it become a weak spot or was it just manufacturing convenience?

Ken Roberts cut out a few of them and you can see it in his thread, not sure what post it is.

Joel K

Supporter
A few questions for fellow builders:

-What size hoses (and what kind) did you use for the heater lines, LS3 water pump outlets are different sizes.
-I am having a hard time paying $100+ for a coolant catch tank, I can get a dorman plastic tank for $12 at summit, the surge tank is a different story, -I am looking at the canton 80-200 surge tank but don't know what fittings to get, it will depend on what hoses I use.
-Does anybody have a A/C line crimping tool they want to sell or lease?
-Can you guys provide a little guidance on the routing of the heater hoses and A/C lines? pictures and diagrams help. So far Cams set up is the one that I like but I am going to stay on the passenger side for everything and take the lines on the outside next to water and brake lines and I will use the flexible A/C hoses that came with the Vintage Air kit.
Thanks for your help
If you want to talk to me PM me and we can talk or text, also if you want to share your information and don't mind me calling you let me know. So far I have been flying solo with the wiki and posted builds, but I figure your help in real time can be very valuable, I totally could have use a stainless steel brake line flaring tool, just as a quick example.

I am not using an LS3 but I’m sure someone will provide input on the heater hose question.

Johan did a nice job of integrating the supplied Surge Tank Into his cooling system and that would avoid buying an expensive surge tank.

I am working on the cooling and heater/AC line routing now and everyone seems to have their own take on it. Cam’s setup looks pretty good to me, the only thing I would say if you want to place the door gas strut as per the manual like Johan and Ken did you need to be careful where you run your lines out the passenger side of the chassis. They could interfere with the strut.

If you go with the gas strut in the door like Robert Mesa and Cam it is less critical.

I am leaning toward putting the gas strut in the door, but am going to try to run the AC hoses to allow both options.

Mark B.

Supporter
Hey Hector, glad to see another SLC in Texas! I'm moving down to Austin from Seattle literally this weekend and towing my SLC in progress.
I have an AC crimper you're welcomed to use, but it may be a couple months before we get the house / settled and unpack it.

I am not using an LS3 but I’m sure someone will provide input on the heater hose question.

Johan did a nice job of integrating the supplied Surge Tank Into his cooling system and that would avoid buying an expensive surge tank.

I am working on the cooling and heater/AC line routing now and everyone seems to have their own take on it. Cam’s setup looks pretty good to me, the only thing I would say if you want to place the door gas strut as per the manual like Johan and Ken did you need to be careful where you run your lines out the passenger side of the chassis. They could interfere with the strut.

If you go with the gas strut in the door like Robert Mesa and Cam it is less critical.

I am leaning toward putting the gas strut in the door, but am going to try to run the AC hoses to allow both options.
Thanks Joel, never even thought about the doors. See this is very helpful.

Hey Hector, glad to see another SLC in Texas! I'm moving down to Austin from Seattle literally this weekend and towing my SLC in progress.
I have an AC crimper you're welcomed to use, but it may be a couple months before we get the house / settled and unpack it.
Thanks Mark. Good luck with the move to Austin.

The EZ clips are cool, but I guess I will need a complete new set of fittings. Definitely looking into it. Looks very easy to do and sounds like leaks are not a problem with this system, Thanks Alan.

Boy , those fittings are not cheap. I guess I will have to figure out the cost and then decide. Definitely an elegant solution though.

Back