RF Delivery - I'm exicted!

Ron Earp

Admin
RF Delivery - I\'m exicted!

I just got a call from Robert the other evening explaining he thought he'd have my GT40 over before Christmas, which would make a nice present! A nice suprise and good ending for a crappy weekend (caught fire in my race car, had to be pulled out, more on that later).

Anyhow, the car is to be style up like 1025 in the Allen book, yellow with black trim and stripes. It appears that they are doing pretty well on getting GT40s moved as they are sold out for production until March of 2006 at 3 cars per month. They are spread out as far as location they are going to, but there are a few UK cars in there as well as lots of US cars. Good job!

At any rate I'm looking forward to becoming a owner/driver since my owner/builder experience took a little too long to get to the driver portion of the process.

Take care,
Ron

Re: RF Delivery - I\'m exicted!

Ron,

Congrats! ... I'll bet your face hurts from smiling so much.

1025 eh. Darned, that was the sheme I'd finally settled upon. Maybe I'll go with a different shade of yellow.

Tell us about the fire please. Hope you don't sustain any damage. Burns hurt!

Congrats on the coming delivery. So your putting a fire system in th RF now? Hope you are well.

Chuck

Hmm, I was worried about taking delivery late November.. Cant wait for it now !!
Ron,
What Chassis number have you got?

Ron Earp

Admin

John it might be even more than that now as I know there were some orders that were pending.

Robert gave me the number of my chassis but I was just back from the track and not quite feeling all there - I think he said 118 or 122, can't remember.

Yep, the RF will have a 6 point cage and I'm putting in at least one fire bomb, maybe two. And of course some six point harnesses. I had decided on a fire bomb years ago on the one I was building, but after my experience I definitely consider them manditory, even on a street GT40. Cars are hard to get in and out of, especially race cars, and while you might be hurt and unable to get out you can probably pull a fire handle and maybe save yourself from being killed and burned up. Not many of us here are young and spritely anymore, I'm probably amoung the younger here at 36, but I know I cannot get out of a GT40 as fast as I'd like in a fire, much less a race car.

R

I agree about the fire bottles, I had one in my Lotus and its good for peace of mind.
I willbe sourcing the firebottles and harness'es here in the UK as I dont feel like paying import duty on bits I can buy here.
Either way I will heading of to SA late summer to have a peek at the factory

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Ron,

I have the little ornamental hand held mounted over the passengers knees, but I'll go to work installing the plumbed in fire suppression system now, rather than later.

Give me a call when you get a chance and feel like talking.

Regards,
Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin

Plumb that thing up, a bottle you can't get to mounting in the car does you no good. I'll still have one of those too, but a fire system is a must. And, you know, you can make a good one from a 20lb house fire extingusher if you are not concerned about SCCA rules and such. Saw a couple like that and I'm sure they'd work well.

I'm actually making changes in all of our race cars too based on my experience.

1) corner workers cannot lift the hot hood of a car if there is nothing to lift it from - that is, if it is held down with hood pins with fire licking out from it how can they lift it even an inch to insert a nozzle? They really can't do a good job.

2) off and fire pull - I am making these on both sides of the car. What if you end up coming to rest off track, but, the off and fire pull are trackside, as in my case? Well, they cannot run out into the track and you're basically on your own.

We've got four cars in RTP Racing that will be changed over to something more corner worker friendly here before too much longer.

Ron

Ron, I believe you are still allowed to use Halon in the USA; it is far better than the replacements we have here in Europe (it was banned about 10 years ago because of cfc concerns). Being a gas it simply evaporates after it has done its job rather than leaving a messy residue on everything.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter

Does it evaporate your lungs as well? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company

Dear all,

Yes we are quoting that thecars we are selling at the moment are those to be delivered in Feb / Mar 2006.

The actual rate that we are producing our cars is TWO a month and not three a month as Ron said in his comments above (easy mistake and Ron would be the last to put our wrong information).

There are basically two types of kits we are producing, finished cars (turn key) and kits (quick build / deluxe). These two obviously take very different times to complete and the idea of producing two cars a month was for South Africa to produce two turn key cars a month. I have taken orders of two turn key cars for one month and followed up by two kits the following month. This I have done in purpose as it gives a oscillatory work load which will allow South Africa to catch up or even get ahead of the build schedule. I am acutely aware of the requirement to DELIVER our cars to the required QUALITY and ON TIME. I hope that we will actually get ahead and that by years end we will be producing the two turn keys a month and the two kits a month also. This will obviously reduce the backlog of orders but I intend to continue quoting delivery times as I have been doing.

I hope this does not confuse the issue too much and I do hope that we will be able to deliver early.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hey Robert,
Just read your post, and I wondered if you meant turn key minus or complete turn key cars. I know adding and engine and tranny don't take much time, but I figure if it made me wonder, it might make others wonder also. Don't mean to be a bother, just raised a curious eye brow for a second. I know sometimes people don't investigate things too closely, and they might misinterpret the differences.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,
He meant turnkey minus as we don't ship cars with engines and tranny's.
Thanks for the headsup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your welcome Hershal. Oh, by the way, I may be stealing your car color as my wife loves the silver. However, since I really don't want to copy anyones car, I thinking of going to a metallic blue rather than black stripes. I saw a superformance cobra with that color combo once and it looked GOOOOOD!

Jim

Back