RF education please?

Can you more experienced players give me some advice on the finer points of the RF cars? I've been searching for a GT40 lately and have found quite a few nice cars in my price range.

My question is......can anyone shed some light on the most/ least desirable RF models (or chassis numbers)?

Best transaxle choice?

I realize a lot depends on the build/builder, but how does the RF (in general) stack up against a RCR, SPF, CAV, NZ, or GTD?

Thanks very much for any advice offered!

I have number 85, which entirely coincidentally is the most desirable chassis number. ;)

Transaxle: 6 speed Audi - so far no problems apart from the ratios being a bit wide.
Diff was custom made.

RF2 have sorted out the only major issue I have with early RFs, which is the suspension and steering geometry. The RF2 setup is very impressive. It will retrofit older cars and IMO is a must do.
RF1 geometry was pretty bad.
Spinners are not threaded correctly for left and right sides on my car (right hand thread both sides) something that I believe RF2 have fixed.

I have no other substantial complaints (that are not specific to my car) that I can remember in my currently whisky assisted state. ;)
I'll post again if I think of anything later on.

Tim.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I have a later RF109 and the Suspension/ steering is fantastic. The thread on the hubs are perfect. Sounds like that you got a bad set of spindles and the builder put them on anyway. So the build is suspect. Your car is a isolated problem. My car was factory built and has no suspension issues. A true fact that is a problem RF's is the Audi Transaxle. I found them to all to break or have problems when pushed to hard. That is why I had a Custom ZF installed. Although I never took my car to the track, I wanted the confidence that If I wanted to go to the track, I did not want to worry about the transaxle. Pantera used them. The original Gt40's used them that is why I use them.

Just my thoughts

Best

Last edited:
First off, the matter of transaxle choice is not specific to RF, but rather one the owner/builder must decide for themselves. The RF is designed to use the Audi boxes, but there have been a few that have used ZFs. Basically, whatever you want to install (within reason obviously), you probably can. It just depends on how much money and/or skill you have.

That said, I don't think you'll find many complaints from RF owners about their cars. The chassis looks pretty solid, the body seems very well molded, etc. The entire package was designed together, but it is very possible that builders sourced parts themselves. Again, I don't think you'll find anything really bad in the lot.

However, the point about the improved suspension geometry in the RF2 cars is significant. I have heard many RF owners did not feel the original RF set up was very track worthy, and made changes to address that. However, the current RF ownership has spent a lot of time and money redesigning and testing the new suspension set up, and as Tim says, it is a wise decision to make.

Ian

John,

To clarify - my car (85) was factory built to my spec' (well almost to spec'), spinners were installed by factory.

The 016 and O1E are different kettles of fish but I think transaxle discussion has been repeated enough elsewhere to leave it alone here.

I have no significant problems with my car apart from those mentioned above.
The unrevised RF1 suspension/steering is ok if you drive freeways but IMO is a long way from track ready. (by "track ready" I do not necessarily mean race car btw, just anything that involves spirited driving with twisty bits ;) )

I think the overall quality of the RF is very high, I have no qualms recommending them. If you get an RF1 and want the best out of it then change to RF2 spec' steering and suspension and I think you'll have a car that will make you smile every time you drive it, as long as you stay away from toll gates and car parks... ;)

I'm sure opinions will vary, the above is mine.

In a world full of certainty I am only certain of my distrust of the certain.

Tim.

Last edited:

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Ian,
I respect you thoughts but It is clear that the RF-1 or RF-2 are for general street/Light track use like SPF ,RCR And all the others. If your racing the car SPF/RCR and all the other manufactures will have to re-design the suspension. RF only offers the Audi Transaxle Specifically. Certainly you can change anything with money like I did. You stated that it is your choice of transaxle but RF only offers the Audi. Correct me if I'm wrong, I have the only RF In the USA with The ZF Transaxle. I only know of one 1 other RF with the ZF and is located on Australia. I paid big $$$ for the custom ZF installation. I wanted piece of mind when and If I decide to drive the car aggressively. However this is not a option for the NEW RF owners According to there advertisment. I have not heard of any suspension complaints from the RF1 car owners on this GT40 forum until now. Again if you going to race RF/SPF/Tornado and all the others you will need to change the suspension and may need many upgraded components to race these cars. RF/SPF/RCR used high quality components for daily use as well as the track day at the local club. IF you want a track ready car with all the bell and whistles be prepared to pay the price. Most folks her want a safe reliable car that they can enjoy on the street as well as the occasional track event.

Thats not true of the RCR40 , John...

No suspension redesign needed here....fully adjustable rod end set up as standard

Good luck with the sale...its a good deal .

RF offer both road and track oriented suspension systems, track being more adjustable with rod ends, road using some bushings for NVH.

The O1E Audi trans, (without wanting to go over hundreds of old threads again) has not been a problem in these cars even with high hp track use. There was a recent failure in a 980hp turbo car running slicks at the drags that was not attributed to the base design of the trans but rather the significant mods (grinding) performed previously for the old level clutch clearance.

There are numerous RF's running around with a variety of trans, a couple of RBT/ZF applications in the US, a few here in Aus with the same, some G50s and now sequential Albins and Elites - as discussed above direct from factory we typically (but not exclusively) support Audi/getrag but RHS is conveniently negotiable (not always necessary) for those wishing to try something different...

regards PB

Ian,
I respect you thoughts but It is clear that the RF-1 or RF-2 are for general street/Light track use like SPF ,RCR And all the others. If your racing the car SPF/RCR and all the other manufactures will have to re-design the suspension. RF only offers the Audi Transaxle Specifically. Certainly you can change anything with money like I did. You stated that it is your choice of transaxle but RF only offers the Audi. Correct me if I'm wrong, I have the only RF In the USA with The ZF Transaxle. I only know of one 1 other RF with the ZF and is located on Australia. I paid big $$$ for the custom ZF installation. I wanted piece of mind when and If I decide to drive the car aggressively. However this is not a option for the NEW RF owners According to there advertisment. I have not heard of any suspension complaints from the RF1 car owners on this GT40 forum until now. Again if you going to race RF/SPF/Tornado and all the others you will need to change the suspension and may need many upgraded components to race these cars. RF/SPF/RCR used high quality components for daily use as well as the track day at the local club. IF you want a track ready car with all the bell and whistles be prepared to pay the price. Most folks her want a safe reliable car that they can enjoy on the street as well as the occasional track event.

John, please note what I said:

The RF is designed to use the Audi boxes, but there have been a few that have used ZFs. Basically, whatever you want to install (within reason obviously), you probably can. It just depends on how much money and/or skill you have.

In other words, the factory design supports the Audi, but if you have the money to hire someone to put in something else, or have the necessary fabrication and welding skills to do it yourself, you can put a ZF, Porsche G series, and whatever else might fit dimensionally. As proven by the fact that yours has a ZF, Ross Nicols has a ZF, and Iain Pretty has a Hewland IIRC.

Ian

Thanks, guys. Seems the RF2 suspension is the way to go.

Now, anyone care to compare the RF to the other makers?

Nope :)

Seriously, search this forum for the multiple discussions previously had. The bottom line - it depends on what you are looking for in a GT40.

Ian

I haven't seen one that made me want to swap. I've seen a few that made me glad I didn't.
I'm not treading any deeper in that can of worms. ;)

Tim.

Thomas, my learned friends are spot on. There is a HUGE amount of discussions on this forum which will HELP answer your question about who's is best but in the end it will be a decision you'll have to make. I think you'll find asking us to compare our cars with others is like asking a parent to tell you which child they like best. I own a CAV car and will sing its praises but I know those who own an SPF, an RCR, Tornado, RF, or Bailey Edwards etc, etc, would likely say the same about their car. Support from the factory is also something to consider. CAV, while no longer a sponser on this forum are still only an email away and anytime I've contacted the US Rep. or factory I've got an answer PDQ. Good Luck and we'll look forward to reading in which direction you go.

Back