ricardo trans oil cooler

Both.....and a pump for the Porsche based ones...The Ricardo has a built in pump...

If you put the cooler in the side scoop area, are you running the lines underneath the rear cross brace in order to reach it? That's the only way I can see to reach it, but that means the lines will be above the exhaust .... and since heat rises, won't that heat up the oil, making it worst off than not having a cooler? (or am I over-thinking this again....)

Found old pictures on the forum.

Don't think that will work for me - I'm doing rear exhaust.

The side scoop location seems to be working okay for now, the only thing that worries me is I had to do it on the driver side because the passenger is filled with dry sump and fuel .... so I've got about 4ft of hose going to the cooler, and another 4 heading back to the transaxle.

I wonder if there's any pressure drop issues to worry about, but I don't think so with a transmission system.....

I am running a Setrab cooler mounted vertical. I was told that the Ricardo has a built in pump, it was so long ago I do not remember where that info came from. I placed it in the passenger side vent ran #10 AN line and insulated the line with wrap and shielding you slip over the line. I insulated the line so no motor compartment heat would add to the temps. I also fabricated a duct from the vent to the cooler so all the air coming in would be forced through the cooler not around it. I have not had any problems with the trans and have done track events and street it. We do not have a temp gauge on the gearbox oil but we have not seen a problem. I ran # 10 line because the lines are 3 to 4 feet long if you have a long run you need to go up in the size so the volume is kept high for that distance and not restricted. I hope this helps.

FWIW, I'm using a Setrab cooler, Peterson filter and Tilton pump for my 930 gearbox.
Planned to install on Passenger side vent with fabricated ducting. Also using AN-10
lines. Carefully measured for additional gearbox oil, about a pint more will be needed.
The pump will have it's own switched circuit. Drivers side Setrab cooler for engine oil.

Do you guys think 4ft of -8 hose (to get it on the passenger side i'd have to basically re-do all my oil, fuel and electrical, not happening, lol) would be too long/small? Alternatively, any thoughts about mounting the oil cooler ontop of the transaxle cage - it's not as good as the side scoop area, but would that area get any air flow, or would I be wasting my time? What if it got mounted on the the transaxle cage, with a fan attached. Any better, or waste of effort?

Give a call to CMS or Gbox, they will advise as to where you must poke holes in the gearbox case for fittings. Either of these outfits can sell you all of the necessary parts.

Give a call to CMS or Gbox, they will advise as to where you must poke holes in the gearbox case for fittings. Either of these outfits can sell you all of the necessary parts.

You gotta have some balls of steel to poke holes yourself in a transaxle :D

No Alex, just a proper drill & tap, lots of heavy grease too. Really not too hard.
I did stare at the gearbox for quite some time before finding the courage to do it.
Worked out very well.

I plan to do my own once I have the info on the correct location to do it. I am just trying to figure out which pump to get. The plumbing and cooler should be easy once I know the location and pump.

I plan to do my own once I have the info on the correct location to do it. I am just trying to figure out which pump to get. The plumbing and cooler should be easy once I know the location and pump.

This is the one I'm using.
Tilton Engineering 40-525 - Tilton Differential Oil Cooler Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

And the filter:
Peterson Fluid Systems : 400 Series Filters

amd the oil cooler:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=8947

The parts are easy, finding places to mount them could be difficult. I fabricated .125 aluminum panels, attached to the outside of the inner chassis bay tubes with rivnuts to hang things on.

Alex, there are two shops that were or are running the GT 40 professionally, one was Kinetics Racing and the other is Robinson Motorsports both here in Georgia. They could probably answer the question about the length and pressure drop as well as how much air flow do you really need. My thinking is get fresh cool outside air instead of motor compartment air which is already probably 165 deg. I also have run my lines over my exhaust. The total length over the exhaust is about 6" and I wrapped and shielded it from the heat. Based on the limited space sometimes you have to place and plumb the best it can and that is how it has to go, then protect it as much as possible.

Robertson racing , and neither teams ran the stock street Ricardo transaxles...they both ran full sequential race only EMCO/Xtrac transaxles..

Attachments

• picfordgt40.jpg
    picfordgt40.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 174
Back