ridiculous alternator vibration....need help

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
There is no way to attach the rear of the alternator. The snaking is gone as I tightened up the belt. I does sound like a supercharger and I didn't notice that before but it was probably always there. The alt. vibrates at idle but not as much as the rpms build although it does have some vibration. The belt is only 3/4 in wide. I will try to shoot a short video for you all to see.

HI Dean,

I don't know about the others but the videos are too dark for me to really make anything out. Maybe a light back there would help.. The attachments also did not come through if they were pictures..

I have possibly misunderstood your previous posts about how the alternator is mounted. I am concerned about your first sentence here where you say "There is no way to attach the rear of the alternator.".. Do you mean that there is no through bolt that is anchored in both the front (via bracket) and rear (via cylinder head/block/something else solid to the engine) as there would be on a typical alternator mount?
As I understood it, there was such a mount and that you were using an adjuster rod to the top of the alternator to set the tension.

Please supply the best pics you can. We are here to help you but if we can't see the pictures or truly understand what your setup is - our hands are tied..

Plus one or two.
As per Randys thoughts, If this is the case & you insist on using the heim joint as the tension adjuster its a failure looking to happen.

alt.1.jpg

alt2.jpg

alt3.jpg

I do have an attachment at the cylinder head. I misunderstood what you were saying. I think these pictures will work.

Needs a triangle bracket on all three bolts as per your modded pic below to prevent front lower bolt from deflecting under load. Ideally allthough it might not be possible for clearance reasons this bracket plus the adjuster strap @ top should be on front faces of alternator to bring them closer to belt line.

Still think it should be Vee or Poly Vee belt-----------but somehow I think you will quite enjoy letting folk think its got a blower!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Ive just learnt how to draw on pics-- you guys are in trouble now:):)

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I agreee that ther should be trianglation on the bolts. You can sometimes get by with welding a tab o the spacer that's on the backside of the bottom bolt and boltin that tab to something solid.

WHat are you using to adjust it now that you welded your pry-bar up and used it for the top mount? :)

So things arent as bad as they may have seemed from my vantage point. THe belt is no where near as long as I imagned between pulleys.

What brand and model alt is that?

Back