Right hand drive in the USA

All the race cars were right hand drive. It you wanted left hand drive I would do a street car. I think there were only 30 made in street trim.
All Mk1 street cars are rhd , only the Mk3 offered the lhd option.

Sorry Paul ! this is how my reply should of read. (my incorrect operation of the quote button...)

Last edited:
Get your wife to drive you around and you sit in the passenger seat and pretend to drive in a normal car. you will get the hang of it with time. My friend has a RHD Toyota Land Cruiser. He does fine with it on all sorts of streets and freeways. I have discussed this with at least 3 SAFIR owners. Not a problem.

I have a Lola, not a GT40, but agree with the others who think RHD is a non-issue. The only annoying thing is when stopping at a light or yield sign to turn right, you have to remember to stay perpendicular to the road so you can see out your left window and see oncoming traffic.

Yes, Brian above pointed out the main problem: vision to the left - this occurs when merging traffic at an angle less than 90 deg. or when moving over to the left lane for passing (here the left mirror and a rear-view camera can provide some assistance - looking over your left sholder will do you no good ;-) ). As to the former one needs to plan ahead or avoid such a situation to start with. On narrow twisty roads, common in my part of the world, one also needs to adjust one's feeling for the road position of the car relatively to one's seating position (in the beginning the proximity of a guard rail, a wall, or a deep slope can be intimidating in left-hand turns :) ).

I'd say: RHD for originality sake ( AC?) - LHD (and AC) for practicality.
To me a GT40 is RHD. I try to take extra care on public roads, avoid heavy traffic, and do the racing on the tracks.

Rob Klein

Supporter
This gives you an idea how close you are to being basically in the center of the car.

Attachments

• A5BE816D-903D-4E23-969D-2153B33A93F2.jpeg
    A5BE816D-903D-4E23-969D-2153B33A93F2.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 162

Nick

Lifetime Supporter
I have a LHD ERA and the shifter is rod linkage. Can I fit a SPF RHD shifter setup on it? Anyone have one for sale?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have a LHD ERA and the shifter is rod linkage. Can I fit a SPF RHD shifter setup on it? Anyone have one for sale?

You won't find a RHD SPF shifter setup, unless it comes off a wreck. And the only RHD SPF that was wrecked that I know of is under repair currently. The parts can be ordered new, we can quote them if you want.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter

Nick,
Maybe I don't understand..... do you want to switch to RHD?
Regards
Markus

The ERA tub is not symmetric. I doubt you would fit in the right side with a RHD sill shift added. You would have to move the center spine in the tub and of course source all new steering rack and dash. ERA did it, but not after the fact.

Back