Roaring Forties #18

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Welcome Richard,

The decision between an RF & a DRB is really tough one - each has its pluses & minuses, but both are great cars. However, the dominant factor coming into play here in Oz is rego - each State has its own rules & they are getting worse all the time. In NSW, we are well & truely screwed - any new car must meet the new ADR79/00 rules. I may still have a small extension of time under the old ADR37/01 rules for emissions as I started the emissions testing last year & got stuffed around (we'll see), but any new car will probably have to go with the 4.6L Ford motor (yet to be really proven to meet 79/00) or a GenIII GM motor (sacriledge !).

In Qld & Vic, I understand that there is a type of "rolling rule" for emissions - stock engines less than 5 years old seem to get an automatic approval, so 302's are still ok. The big issue will be "for how long".

You really need to suss out RF & DRB on the engine/emissions/rego issues & get some serious committments before making a decision.

Don't worry about the f/glass work - its not hard at all, but just takes a lot of patience (& sanding). If you have a problem, you just grind it back, wack on some more, then go sanding again ! The real trick is to go slow - I have had some "sink holes" & joint "print-throughs" some 6 months after painting. Unlike steel, F/glass just seems to have a mind of its own - the best way is probably to do all the glass & prep work up front, put the car in primer, get it registered, then go back & fix all the "new" faults over the next year or so, then paint.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,

You should know all about that fiberglass work! I think that

psychiatrists call it OCD! In your case,

(Obsessive/Compulsive Sanding Disorder) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Thanks very much for your replies.

I will be doing a lot more research over the next 6 months I think.

In the mean time sell my Ford GT V6 Capri.

Thanks again

and thank you for letting be a member.

Richard Mills

Back