Roaring Forties #90

One more.

Attachments

• 61577-DSCN0782.JPG
    61577-DSCN0782.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 843
Wheels have arrived, these are the new 17" wheels from Bob Vintage Wheels along with a couple of shots of his adapters.

Attachments

• 65815-DSCN0832.JPG
    65815-DSCN0832.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 807
Looks Great. How much did those 17" rims set u back? How far along are you going to build the car before you paint it?

The set of four wheels with adapters, pins, knockoffs and hammer was $1,895 USD from Vintage Wheels. I first had gone with the 15" size but because of a lip on the inside of the wheel it would not fit over my brake calipers. Bob at Vintage was very kind and shipped me the new 17" wheels as soon as he recived the shippment of new wheels. Originally I was going with 15's but the lack of max performance tires really bothered me so I went with the larger size.

As for paint, I intend to paint after the motor has been installed and started. When system checks are complete the body will be removed and painted.

Peter

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Peter,

I may be wrong here, but there is a design difference in Halibrand wheels between the Cobra & GT40. What you have pictured above, albeit a beautiful wheel, is what typically is mounted on Cobras.

Does Vintage also offer a disign similar to the picture below which happens to be off an original GT40?

Attachments

• 65883-hali4.jpg
    65883-hali4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 768
You are correct about the differance between the two wheels but I have come to grips with how authentic the car will be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm building a replicar that pays homage to the original but is far from a duplicate. Heck for originality I would have had to stay with the 15" wheels and run full race tires to get good trackday times.

As for Vintage having the real thing, I can't speak for Bob but I think what he sent io me is the only style he has besides the BRM's and those are 15"s only. Anyway you can check the Vintage site vintagewheelsus.com.

Good luck
Peter

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
PS Engineering makes GT40 Halibrands in 15/17 sizes. Bolt-on wheels w/ 5 lug are available. If you want pin-drive you'll need six pin style hubs. Bob's wheels look great.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Image Wheels also do a GT40 style Halibrand (15 inch and 16 inch).

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Our wheels came from PS Engineering. Very nicely made although I think some adjustments will have to be made. But the quality is quite good.

Back