Rod's GT40

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Well, I did it! This morning I visited Fran at RCR and pushed the button on one of his GT40 Kits. Fran is such a gracious host and will show you stuff in his shop that most people can only fantasize. Street cars, race cars, motorcycles and machines. He has them all, and the ability & expertise to discuss each one. Heck, he even has an engine from a MiG fighter jet in there. Who's got one of those in his garage? Anyway, the ball is now rolling and I'm just like a kid before Christmas impatiently looking at the presents (my assembly manual) under the tree. 5 years ago I built a Cobra. Gotta love that one. Today I ordered a GT40. Gonna love this one too. Many thanks to Fran and his staff at RCR for making a dream come true.
Pumped up BIG time, Rod
P.S. When I returned home, my wife gave me a smile and a big hug. Gotta love her also.....

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Well done Rod! Have you given thought yet to engine and transaxle choice?
Michael, It took me a while to respond to this because I hadn't decided on an engine. Acting on RCR/Fran's suggestion, I discussed some options with Craft Racing. With their help, I settled on their 347/363 S/P package. It's a SBF based c.i. Dart block rated at 500hp & 450 ft/lbs torque. Available in approximately 10-12 weeks. This will be matched up to a ZF transaxle which Fran has also assisted me in locating. So far my experience working with RCR has been totally awesome!

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Congrats! I’m new to this forum and very interested in a GT40 build. What made you decide to go with RCR?
Frank, I'm kind of a newbie here also. Especially new to anything with a mid-engine/transaxle. I'm going to need a lot of help from the people on this forum. Having spent 34 years with Ford Motor Co., I had always wanted either a Cobra or a GT40. I built the Cobra 5 years ago. Well, with the creative juices flowing again, I'm going to have my GT40 too. I started doing some research on the various kit manufacturers a couple of years ago, just to see if doing this was attainable. RCR kept coming to the top of the list based on price and what seemed like the quality of their product. It also helps that they are located only 40 miles from where I live. So I scheduled a tour. My wife and I were blown away by the experience! A week later, I took a friend, who will help me with the build, back there. His eyes almost popped out of their sockets! Fran is a gracious host and will spend as much time with you as you want. I ordered my kit that day. And so the journey begins...

Frank, I'm kind of a newbie here also. Especially new to anything with a mid-engine/transaxle. I'm going to need a lot of help from the people on this forum. Having spent 34 years with Ford Motor Co., I had always wanted either a Cobra or a GT40. I built the Cobra 5 years ago. Well, with the creative juices flowing again, I'm going to have my GT40 too. I started doing some research on the various kit manufacturers a couple of years ago, just to see if doing this was attainable. RCR kept coming to the top of the list based on price and what seemed like the quality of their product. It also helps that they are located only 40 miles from where I live. So I scheduled a tour. My wife and I were blown away by the experience! A week later, I took a friend, who will help me with the build, back there. His eyes almost popped out of their sockets! Fran is a gracious host and will spend as much time with you as you want. I ordered my kit that day. And so the journey begins...
Thanks for the info. I’m just North of Chicago, so RCR is not too far from me. Is there a lot of custom fabrication involved with their kits? Or do they include all parts/instruction manuals required? Other than engine and tranny, what else is not included?

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Frank, I won't have my kit until maybe sometime late spring, so can't really answer what all isn't in the kit. You're better off asking someone on this list who is currently building or has already built one. I do know some of the things are tires, fuel supply items, clutch, and exhaust (RCR can help with exhaust). As far as custom fabrication, I suppose you can build it the way it comes out of the box, or you can add personal touches to truly make it YOUR car. I'm considering the quad tail lights on mine. Schedule a tour with RCR. The 5 hour drive there will definitely be worth it.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Today, January 21, 2020, marks the day I officially started the build of my GT40 with the arrival of 4 brand new Avon CR6ZZ tires (See attached picture). I believe I have the wheelbase correct, but not sure about the track, and the alignment is probably way off. I know, not much to look at right now, but hey, ya gotta start somewhere. Now I'll just have to try and be patient while waiting for Fran to get my kit ready. In the meantime, I'll be devouring the contents of this forum.....

Attachments

• 4tires.JPG
    4tires.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 588
Hi Rod,
I spoke to Fran on Friday and he said a 10 month wait for a turnkey car was best case possibility. What kind of timeline are you looking at for your kit and other parts? I'm assuming kits are put out faster than turnkey cars which is what I'm interested in. I live out in Northern CA and a trip to MI in

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Franklyn,
I'm not sure how to give you a good answer to your question. I ordered my kit on Dec. 27th, of last year. I still don't have it, but have now been told it will be ready very soon. When I ordered it, I expected to have it in about 20 weeks. The Corona Pandemic has muddied the waters tremendously and RCR was shut down for 3 1/2 months. If you take that into account, then I'm probably still in the timeframe I expected. Disappointing for sure, but totally out of my control, so no reason for me to get bent out of shape about it. I don't have my engine either. I ordered it in January and was given a 10 week availability. Same shut down problem there. But, I believe all the affected suppliers are probably now doing their best to play catch up and get their operations back to some degree of normalcy. It's too bad you can't get here to join Fran for a tour of his facility. Being only an hour away I have been through RCR 3 times now and came away each time absolutely drooling over what I saw in there. The next time I go, I'll be towing a trailer......
Rod

Rod,
Thanks for the reply. I certainly understand the Covid complications. and that companies are running into supply problems for raw materials affecting everything down stream, even worse if there are international suppliers and quarantines. Next time I talk to Fran I'll ask specifically about the time difference between kit delivery and a turnkey build. I used to live in Sterling Heights so that adds to the frustration of not getting to RCR for a face to face.

Jim Albright

Supporter
Franklyn,
I'm not sure how to give you a good answer to your question. I ordered my kit on Dec. 27th, of last year. I still don't have it, but have now been told it will be ready very soon. When I ordered it, I expected to have it in about 20 weeks. The Corona Pandemic has muddied the waters tremendously and RCR was shut down for 3 1/2 months. If you take that into account, then I'm probably still in the timeframe I expected. Disappointing for sure, but totally out of my control, so no reason for me to get bent out of shape about it. I don't have my engine either. I ordered it in January and was given a 10 week availability. Same shut down problem there. But, I believe all the affected suppliers are probably now doing their best to play catch up and get their operations back to some degree of normalcy. It's too bad you can't get here to join Fran for a tour of his facility. Being only an hour away I have been through RCR 3 times now and came away each time absolutely drooling over what I saw in there. The next time I go, I'll be towing a trailer......
Rod
Rod, sounds like I'm in an identical situation - ordered a LolaT70 turnkey minus in January and Fran estimated an 8 to 12 month window to delivery. I spoke to my engine supplier last week and I got the last block he has in stock for an October build. Still hoping to get the car this year. Be sure to take some pictures of my Lola next time you visit! Best Regards,
Jim

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
I've been waiting as fast as I can for my kit and RCR says it's getting really close. So I took my tires over to Fran and, while there, picked up a rebuilt ZF trans (pic attached). My wife happened to be with me and Fran let her sit in one of the 'movie' cars. Then he reached in and started it up. HUGE smile on her face! No engine yet from Craft Racing. But now starting to think about a clutch setup. So here's the question: Single disc or double? This will be a street car only and my wife will be driving it as much or more than I will. The engine is a 363 SBF 500HP mated to the ZF. I'm thinking double disc but wondering if that setup requires any more leg power.

Attachments

• ZFTransaxle.jpg
    ZFTransaxle.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 474

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I've been waiting as fast as I can for my kit and RCR says it's getting really close. So I took my tires over to Fran and, while there, picked up a rebuilt ZF trans (pic attached). My wife happened to be with me and Fran let her sit in one of the 'movie' cars. Then he reached in and started it up. HUGE smile on her face! No engine yet from Craft Racing. But now starting to think about a clutch setup. So here's the question: Single disc or double? This will be a street car only and my wife will be driving it as much or more than I will. The engine is a 363 SBF 500HP mated to the ZF. I'm thinking double disc but wondering if that setup requires any more leg power.

One of the benefits of the DD clutches is minimal pedal effort...so... ;-)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
One of the benefits of the DD clutches is minimal pedal effort...so... ;-)
True, but I’ve not driven a multidisc clutch that would allow itself to be “slipped” for smooth engagement.. Mostly due to lack of wafer springs behind the linings...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
True, but I’ve not driven a multidisc clutch that would allow itself to be “slipped” for smooth engagement.. Mostly due to lack of wafer springs behind the linings...

D.D. 'recommended because Rod stated; "...my wife will be driving it as much or more than I will...wondering if that setup requires any more leg power" - and it doesn't. Everything has a 'trade off'! ;-)

Back