Rod's GT40

Neil

Supporter
True, but I’ve not driven a multidisc clutch that would allow itself to be “slipped” for smooth engagement.. Mostly due to lack of wafer springs behind the linings...

Those springs are called"Marcel" and provide a progressive friction load for smooth clutch engagement. The center springs provide lower shock to be transmitted to the drive line. Bob Peckham's McLaren M8C used a dual disc clutch but it rattled when the pedal was pushed in. I'd suggest a single-disc clutch with Marcel and a spring center. A high-friction clutch material should be able to handle the torque. Driving a racing clutch on the street in traffic is not a pleasant experience.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
D.D. 'recommended because Rod stated; "...my wife will be driving it as much or more than I will...wondering if that setup requires any more leg power" - and it doesn't. Everything has a 'trade off'! ;-)

The ones I’ve driven were like a light switch. You were either burning rubber or cranking on the starter because the engine stalled. If anything makes you look like a total rank amateur in driving a standard trans, it’s stalling the engine or getting what I call the Herky-Jerky’s... Maybe they’ve come out with a more streetable version?

Ron McCall

Supporter
The ones I’ve driven were like a light switch. You were either burning rubber or cranking on the starter because the engine stalled. If anything makes you look like a total rank amateur in driving a standard trans, it’s stalling the engine or getting what I call the Herky-Jerky’s... Maybe they’ve come out with a more streetable version?
They have . The McLeod street twin is extremely smooyh and takes tons of power.

Ron

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Guys, don't think I'm not listening. I'm taking it all in and am always amazed at the technical expertise you all have to offer when asked. Thank you, thank you! Being a street car, we're definitely going for smooth. Also, not totally worried about the pedal effort either. Lighter would be good, but our FFR Cobra's clutch is fairly heavy and the wife drives it just fine. Safir seems to offer an intriguing package which, although a bit pricey, looks like it includes everything I need. Maybe there are others who can do the same. What I fear most is buying pieces from different suppliers and then hoping it all fits together (and works).

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

They have . The McLeod street twin is extremely smooyh and takes tons of power.

Ron

Dang it - I'm late to the party again!
'Had a McLeod in one of my street machines and that's the one I had in mind above.
McLeod makes a number of D.D.s...'mild to 'you-gotta-be-kiddin'-me'...and I'd imagine the latter would probably behave exactly as Randy described.
'Never had one of those though.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Might want to talk to John Burer about what they have to offer.

Kevlar fiber composite disc
Intended for street (and moderate track) driven vehicles where a smooth engagement is desirable. The disc material exhibits a wear rate of roughly 1/5th that of asbestos materials and 1/2 to 1/3 that of sintered bronze materials. It is designed to be used either dry or wet (as an unfortunate 512TR owner found first-hand when his gearbox developed a leak a year after install - see 8 year case study at HCF Parts) and is non-abrasive to opposing flywheel surfaces. This clutch package is appropriate for street driven vehicles making up to 750 ftlbs. For more abuse or more torque-holding ability, the ceramic disc option below is more appropriate.

Regards Brian

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
OK, I decided to spend the money and go with the 'Safir Complete Clutch Pkg. for a SBF Ford'. I know, I probably could have done it much cheaper buying everything individually. But...this package has everything I need to mate the engine (which I still don't have) to my ZF trans (which I do have). I want ease of assy when I can get it and this particular dual clutch is claimed to be very friendly & streetable. Along with this, I now have the bundle of snakes and some Gurney-Weslake valve covers. Just need my Craft engine & RCR kit. When I get those two, I'll move this thread over to the Build Log forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_163144639.jpg
    IMG_20201031_163144639.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_20200830_131715209.jpg
    IMG_20200830_131715209.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 583
Well, I did it! This morning I visited Fran at RCR and pushed the button on one of his GT40 Kits. Fran is such a gracious host and will show you stuff in his shop that most people can only fantasize. Street cars, race cars, motorcycles and machines. He has them all, and the ability & expertise to discuss each one. Heck, he even has an engine from a MiG fighter jet in there. Who's got one of those in his garage? Anyway, the ball is now rolling and I'm just like a kid before Christmas impatiently looking at the presents (my assembly manual) under the tree. 5 years ago I built a Cobra. Gotta love that one. Today I ordered a GT40. Gonna love this one too. Many thanks to Fran and his staff at RCR for making a dream come true.
Pumped up BIG time, Rod
P.S. When I returned home, my wife gave me a smile and a big hug. Gotta love her also.....
Rod,
I'm following right behind you. About 6 years ago I finished building a FFR MK4 Cobra and am scheduled to meet with Fran in about 10 days to look at the GT-R and SL-C. I live about 45 minutes from you and would enjoy staying in touch as you begin your build. I still have a lot of reading and investigating to do. I wouldn't expect to order a kit before spring. You might like some of the events sponsored by the Great Lakes Cobra Club.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Oh happy day! Santa Fran contacted me this morning with some great news concerning the probability of an early Christmas present this year. I'm having him do the body fitment, and the only thing left is to hang the doors. I may be able to pick it up this Friday. I'll update with some pictures afterwards. My wife & I are excited to finally begin the project. Get ready guys, lots of questions forthcoming. Let the fun begin......

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Oh happy day! Santa Fran contacted me this morning with some great news concerning the probability of an early Christmas present this year. I'm having him do the body fitment, and the only thing left is to hang the doors. I may be able to pick it up this Friday. I'll update with some pictures afterwards. My wife & I are excited to finally begin the project. Get ready guys, lots of questions forthcoming. Let the fun begin......
Rod...well....it's Friday....and those of us with pending RCR40 orders are learning to live vicariously through others...so...

Let us know if you are actually taking possession today? :)

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Nope, not today. Although it's Monday for sure. Giving RCR an extra day, scheduling my trailer, some wet roads in the area, etc. I won't be sleeping much for the next 3 nights. Hmmm, I wonder if it will fit under my Christmas tree? Anyway we'll be posting some pictures on Tuesday.

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Rod! Anyone who has lived through it knows that the wait is the worst part of the build.
Now the fun begins.......

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
December 21st, 2020. The first day of Winter. Also the day I took delivery of my RCR40 Mk1. What a great Christmas Present! Many thanks to Fran Hall and his crew at RCR for making this dream a reality for me. And, my wife is as excited about this endeavor as I am. We sat in it last night in the garage and shared a liquid refreshment. I don't plan on doing anything until after the holidays after which it will be pedal to the metal. We want this thing on the road! Anyway, a safe & happy holiday wish to all. I'll be talking to you soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_122039002_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201221_122039002_HDR.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20201221_143528041.jpg
    IMG_20201221_143528041.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20201221_143404463_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201221_143404463_HDR.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 336
Back