Roll Cage Install ????

We installed the Roll Cage, I was planning on adding tabs to attach the spider to the cage. My body guy said I'm asking for major problems if I do. Any thoughts ???????????? Thanks Wally

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
We installed the Roll Cage, I was planning on adding tabs to attach the spider to the cage. My body guy said I'm asking for major problems if I do. Any thoughts ???????????? Thanks Wally

Don't know what your body man's concerns are but I'd be interested in hearing them..
I'm installing tabs off of my front and rear roll cage hoops to the spider to make darned sure the spider doesn't move..
Also - My door latch pins are going to be installed on 1x2 Steel rectangular tubing that's then welded to the main hoop of the cage..

HI Randy As we were talking bout this he was thinking about the shop Corvette race car ( separate frame and body ) this being a space frame and all one unit I think we may be in agreement that it shouldn't be an issue. But he's right I will need to have everything in alignment when I install the brackets or this may cause problems at final assembly.

We plan to add tabs on my 40. The roof and side pillars have a tendency to sag over time. You will first notice when you try to add the windscreen. The corners of the roof are also where people will try to grab on entry and especially on exit. Press down on that area and you will see how weak that area is. The roof looks for strength with the windscreen which is not a good idea. The tabs will keep all aligned(once aligned). 3M has some great adhesives that will tear out the metal before releasing. Their bond times are variable depending on which one you get, so there is plenty of work time with them.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Funny afterthought...

My body man doesn't want to proceed to the doors and spider "until" the spider is "nailed in place" (as he calls it)...

Bill - The ingress / egress is exactly one of the issues I've seen with other cars. One was sporting a cracked windshield in supporting the weight of one of the occupants..
I don't want to go there myself....
Very correct on the adhesives as well! Although my tabs are welded on and bolted to the inner structure of the spider.

Back